Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Earthbound Style
[Image: sprite-test.png]

Blank

Okay, if you're reading this, then you didn't immediately see my sprite, laugh, and post that it's crap. Yay!

I'm working on making a game, and the time has come for me to fill in all my placeholder graphics with something a little more substantial (actually, it's long past time...) I've always been a fan of Earthbound's graphics, and emulating it's style seemed to be within the realm of my skills.

My purpose in posting twofold. First, I want to make sure that the above sprite isn't complete, utter crap. I think it looks decent, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it. Even though my ego is huge, I realize that it only represents a small percentage of the population, and that others will have differing opinions. Right now I want to know if I have the skills to make decent looking sprites, or if I need to look for help from someone else. If it is crap, please let me know what needs to be fixed.

Second, I want to make sure that the fist reaction to my game isn't "OMG! Earthbound clone!", because it's most definitely not. I just want to look similar, sort of like how Illusion of Gaia and Secret of Mana look the same, but are still unique. I know it's hard to tell something like that with one (half) a sprite, but I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time before making more.

Criticisms, critiques, and more criticisms, please and thank you Wink
Thanked by:
i cant actually say that upscaling earthbound overworld sprites can be a sign of skill or the lack of it. specially with just two lonely sprites.
Thanked by: Iceman404, Gors, recme
The eyes are wrong- all of Earthbound's characters always had plain black dots for eyes, as the franchise itself emulates the style of 1950's cartoons.
Thanked by:
Might as well say this is earthbound style in HD considering how big this is

Aside from that, the shading on the clothes are pillowed, might want to fix that. and to be honest, I'd try and anti alias the outline.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by:
i'd rather not call everything thats just "a bigger version" HD. ironically this is extremely low on definition.
Thanked by: Phantom Killah