Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Taking a Huge Dump!!
Huh, joined here several years ago and never posted any of my crap. Well, damn! Bout time I changed that. Cool & Frosty!

[Image: Xiaoo---Walk-Cycle.gif]
Start with a simple Rm2k style walk cycle. Tried to differentiate it with a more sharper coloring scheme.

[Image: SanaPallete.gif]
Trying to develop me own GBA-like style of sprites, something simple but pleasing. Smile

[Image: BattlePoses.png]
A bunch of random characters from my flash movie in progress doing battle poses, nothing special.

[Image: Richard-Run-Cycle-1.gif]
Simple run cycle, leg goes up a little too high. Sick

[Image: MeltyBlood.gif]
For a contest (which I lost Cry ) where you had to draw yourself as a fighting game character. It looks nice, but I was trying to go for a Melty Blood style which I kinda failed.

[Image: Un-PhotoshopedTree.gif]
Tree for that flash movie, first one I ever made and it shows!

[Image: GGZTreecopy.gif]
I thought it looked tacky, so I decided to photoshop it a bit with a little burning and a dodge or two there.

[Image: BG-ARevelationMock.png]
Background work mostly, spammed that tree and tried to make the scene as lively as possible with all em flowers and plant life.

Any feedback or critique will be welcomed and appreciated, thanks!
[Image: TotoroSigDonecopy.gif]
"For you, a thousand times over."
Thanked by:
this isn't good mostly because too many colors, banding everywhere, little contrast, no definite lightsource and unmatching perspective but I'm sure others will explain better
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Iceman404
I think you should take care of each sprite separately. And focus on 1 sprite at a time.

Let me give you some taste of animation and show you the contact-down-pass-up rule, here have a scan,
The same rule can be applied to many other walk movements, so no need to give me "but"-s

Richard Williams is a wonderful teacher.
Thanked by: Nindo, Proton, Gors, Adidaas
finally back from work, will properly give C+C now c:

the first one's fairly ok because it's a simple style; just take care on the frames; some have messed up feet. You may want to take a closer look on them. Also, he goes 1 px forward when walking to the right.

the second one is where the flaws start to appear. There are too many colors, and they lack contrast. Pixelart is a kind of art where you economize colors; don't go using 20+ colors in a sprite so small. You can cut a lot of them by increasing the contrast. Also, you may want to check her anatomy (noodle limbs, broken legs, huge breasts compared to torso).

the random characters also suffer from the same flaws as the second sprite. Some of them also have jaggies; use anti-aliasing to fix them.

the walking is smooth, but impossible to do in real life. Check Frar's post and use that sheet for reference. Also, same color/lineart/shading problems as the other two.

the fighting sprite one looks... odd. Look at his face. The forehead is all weird and the shirt shading gives him breasts. I also don't like how you exactly copied the shirt shading even when he changes the perspective, in the third frame. The legs in the said frame is also broken as hell

the tree looks... too messy. You don't need to represent all those leaves; they're well-represented by pixel clusters. Try using them instead (check some references if you don't get what I mean). Also, it doesn't have a definite lightsource.

the bg scene is grating to the eyes because of the grass/dirt pattern. Also it's not that lively because the flowers aren't bright, as well as the rest of the objects. I also find hard to distinguish the grass from the smaller trees scattered on the screen. You may want to make it stand out more by giving it a brighter color/darker outline.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Nindo, Adidaas
Thanks for the feedback guys, they hurt, but are helpful.

(09-27-2010, 02:35 PM)Frario Wrote: I think you should take care of each sprite separately. And focus on 1 sprite at a time.

Not sure whats that directed towards. Blank

If you're referring to all of my works, they were all made over the span of nearly two years

If you're talking about the run cycle, thats a good idea. I mostly just focused on the legs when I made that and didn't really notice the body.

Thanks for the link though, should prove to be helpful.Smile

(09-27-2010, 04:31 PM)Gors Wrote: the second one is where the flaws start to appear. There are too many colors, and they lack contrast. Pixelart is a kind of art where you economize colors; don't go using 20+ colors in a sprite so small. You can cut a lot of them by increasing the contrast. Also, you may want to check her anatomy (noodle limbs, broken legs, huge breasts compared to torso).
To be honest I intended to make the anatomy a little off, the breast part and limbs anyway. And the coloring is a good point, I always think it looks weird though when I only use one level of shading. I think it also has to do with the outline color I use, it being just a darker shade.

I'm curious to what you mean by broken legs though. Sounds horrible!!Sick

(09-27-2010, 04:31 PM)Gors Wrote: the fighting sprite one looks... odd. Look at his face. The forehead is all weird and the shirt shading gives him breasts. I also don't like how you exactly copied the shirt shading even when he changes the perspective, in the third frame. The legs in the said frame is also broken as hell

Hahah, thats probably why I lost the contest. Again the broken comment is piercing my brain. Gonna Puke

(09-27-2010, 04:31 PM)Gors Wrote: the tree looks... too messy. You don't need to represent all those leaves; they're well-represented by pixel clusters. Try using them instead (check some references if you don't get what I mean). Also, it doesn't have a definite lightsource.

I recall looking at several different photos when I made that as well as some pixel trees. I'll have to check out these pixel clusters in use. But I'll take a gander at some trees in Mana or something and see how they do it.

(09-27-2010, 04:31 PM)Gors Wrote: the bg scene is grating to the eyes because of the grass/dirt pattern. Also it's not that lively because the flowers aren't bright, as well as the rest of the objects. I also find hard to distinguish the grass from the smaller trees scattered on the screen. You may want to make it stand out more by giving it a brighter color/darker outline.

Ah, good point, I never really noticed that about the pattern. So would you reccommend using a different color as well as a new pattern? I'll definitely look up some grass right now and take another crack at it.
Thanked by:
Broken legs. As in, they aren't normal because you have them in abnormal positions that make the legs look really weird.
[Image: FmY9K.jpg]

Thanked by:
I can mostly say that this whole dump, is mostly stuff that could honestly use a monmth of work as I see it on your pace, why?
Because as Frario mentioned, it looks like you dont take your time on each sprite, also, the legs are a huge problem, they are badly shaded, no lightsource at all, they arent in a good position, an some are bigger then the other.
The backgrounds look bad as well, since they dont have a lightsource, and the colors are a bit too bright and dont fit the right colors of a normal tree, or even a cartoonish tree. and the trunks look abnormal.
Life Is No Fun Without A Good Scare
Thanked by: