Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Shading question.
Question 
So i drew some simple guy in paint.
But i need to shade it
How?
Can somone do it for me so i can look see how it's done?(btw:i can't post in the request section for some reason).

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/455/whattheshade.png
Thanked by:
first of all, you need to know anatomy.

[Image: whattheshade.png]

this guy's totally stiff (stop using the line tool) and the body perspective doesn't match his head. His limbs don't have any joints and his neck is too short.

Also MS Paint default colors. never use them.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Iceman404, Baegal
That's not really what i asked for but still thanks.
Thanked by:
Quote:first of all, you need to know anatomy.

You can't make sprites without knowing the basics. Even if you can shade like a god, not knowing how to make a proper lineart will render you useless at pixelart.
Thanked by: Iceman404
.... Then what are the basics?.........

Btw:A while ago i made this,but i didn't like it:
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2638/iets2.png
Thanked by:
I will have to say to that face as in a fail, the face doesnt have the shape of a head what so ever, the hair looks like you made it as fast as possible, and i dont quite see much shading in it.
Life Is No Fun Without A Good Scare
Thanked by:
(09-13-2010, 11:51 AM)dylstew Wrote: .... Then what are the basics?.........

http://www.spriters-resource.com/communi...?tid=13868
Thanked by: 2+D, Iceman404
(09-13-2010, 10:45 AM)dylstew Wrote: So i drew some simple guy in paint.
But i need to shade it
How?
Can somone do it for me so i can look see how it's done?(btw:i can't post in the request section for some reason).

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/455/whattheshade.png

i didn't though i would ever need to use this again.
Thanked by:
Well, I mean you really need to work on your anatomy, but when shading, think of a lightsource. Shadows will be on the opposite direction of this "lightsource." But! You can't just shade it like HGDSFFG.
[Image: jBHIy.gif]
HGDSFFG
Instead you have to take in account the "3D" forms you're trying to represent. What parts are receding into space? What parts are beneath something else so light is being blocked out by it, cast under shadows or whatever? After then block in a darker color for where you think the shadows might lie.
This isn't a pixel art color tutorial but I feel it's crucial to read when coloring anything. You can at least understand how the shading is supposed to be like.
http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm
It also details other aspects you'll need for coloring like highlights and stuff. I think you should reflect upon what it says and think of the best way yourself to apply these in a low color pixel format. Because manning up for yourself is more than half the journey.
[Image: ULdji.png]
"I feel real good, I look even better, I make a burlap sack look like a cashmere sweater."
Thanked by:
i think that you should stick to shade simpler shapes like apples and cubes and once you nail the very basics of shading, you'd be ready to something more complez like drawing people and such wich also requires some basic knowledge of anatomy.
Thanked by: Gors
Goddamnit I HATE THE WORD ANOTOMY!
I knew this guy was ugly i just wanted some shading tips...wich 1 guy gave me.
(BTW: I hate it ebcause if drawing drawing cirique)
Defeated

and uuhm....:
I'm 13 and when i go to drawing lessons of my age they suck really hard and don't teach me anything.(i live in Europe-Holland-Noord holland-Zaandam)

And it just feels weird to go rent an anotomy book 0.o.

and School doesn't teach anything about anotomy.
Thanked by:
you can't shade your guy if he doesn't have a decent anatomy. Fact.

Right now he's basically a pipe, how are you going to shade him decently if he's a pipe?

Quote:(BTW: I hate it ebcause if drawing drawing cirique)
Defeated
what

Quote:I'm 13 and when i go to drawing lessons of my age they suck really hard and don't teach me anything.(i live in Europe-Holland-Noord holland-Zaandam)
this is not an excuse, being 13 and having faulty drawing lessons doesn't mean you need to make shitty drawings. you're on the internet, there are a lot of tutorials scattered for you to check.

Quote:And it just feels weird to go rent an anotomy book 0.o.
no it's not weird. Since when knowledge is weird

also if that bugs you that much, again, there's the internet to search with.

Quote:and School doesn't teach anything about anotomy.
you'll soon realize that not everything you'll need to learn in your life will be taught on school.
Thanked by:
Sorry i meant because critique.

And it's not an excuse,i'm just saying the lessons FORMY AGE don't teach anything about anotomy.
Thanked by:
So then go and teach yourself. You're not going to learn anything if you just sit there, hoping to have someone just tell you how to do things.
Specs 'n' Headphones has been revamped! Check it, yo.
[Image: 10y3mgj.png][Image: groove-1.gif]
Thanks to Pik and Solink; they are sexy people. Heart
Thanked by:
(09-14-2010, 09:12 AM)dylstew Wrote: I'm 13 and when i go to drawing lessons of my age they suck really hard and don't teach me anything.(i live in Europe-Holland-Noord holland-Zaandam)
Nope sorry

Your refusal to sit down and learn the basics doesn't mean the classes are bad
Thanked by: