Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FFIV TAY Rip Request
I've started to rip a few sprites and they've all come out perfectly by dumping them with a setting in the graphics options; however, the over world tiles won't.
All the sprite sheets seem to follow a common resolution of 256x256 pixels whereas the over world rips using 288x288. I've tried resizing the image in The GIMP to 256x256 so that I can align it to a 16x16 grid, but it looked a bit blurry, even when doing it all right. So my request is for someone to see if their rips would actually rip right.
As you can see below, it's a bit distorted. These tiles aren't in the database either unfortunately.
[Image: tilesn.png]
[Image: thcute-2.gif] [Image: thcute-2.gif] [Image: thcute-2.gif]
We'll dance if we wanna'.
Thanked by:
Your sheet has a 18x18-grid, that's unusual. Is this the original file you dumped from the game or is it a resized version (GIMP)?
Quote:I've started to rip a few sprites and they've all come out perfectly by dumping them with a setting in the graphics options; however, the over world tiles won't.
Sprites? Is this term including tilesets as well? If not, I would try some other map-sets.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/other_s...index.html
Barubary ripped many sets from this game, try to contact him (if no one else can help you).
[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by:
(08-15-2010, 08:02 AM)Davias Wrote: Your sheet has a 18x18-grid, that's unusual. Is this the original file you dumped from the game or is it a resized version (GIMP)?
Quote:I've started to rip a few sprites and they've all come out perfectly by dumping them with a setting in the graphics options; however, the over world tiles won't.
Sprites? Is this term including tilesets as well? If not, I would try some other map-sets.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/other_s...index.html
Barubary ripped many sets from this game, try to contact him (if no one else can help you).

My dumps also came out looking like her/his submissions, just the over world tiles look odd. o_O;
I didn't resize the tileset you see here, it was dumped like this. Sick
I'll try to message him and hope he's still active. :p
Thanked by:
When you can't contact him on spriters-resource, try this site:
http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=6
Quote:Last Activity: Today 12:49
[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by:
It looks like either the dump tool you used is a bit bugged, or the game loads the originally 16x16 tiles as 18x18 tiles, which are then just dumped by the tool.
My dumps were made using only the files in the rom, which I've uploaded here. You can view the .f4dat files inside using TiledGGD and these plugins. (use the bindings below to use the plugins)

Code:
    <Binding type="GRAPHICS">
        <Name>Final Fantasy IV: The After Years file</Name>
        <FilterSet method="AND">
            <Filter type="FILENAME">f4dat</Filter>
        </FilterSet>
        <Target type="LUA">Graphics_FFIVR.lua</Target>
    </Binding>
    <Binding type="PALETTE">
        <FilterSet method="AND">
        </FilterSet>
        <Target type="LUA">Palette_FFIVR.lua</Target>
    </Binding>
Thanked by:
Having zoomed in on the sheet you have supplied, I noticed something: All the tiles are actually 16x16 put into 18x18 squares by duplicating the pixels at the border. Thus, you'd have to simply remove the pixel lines to the right, left, top and bottom of each tile.

PS:
[Image: zeemistiles.png] Just like this.
Thanked by:
(08-15-2010, 12:16 PM)Barubary Wrote: It looks like either the dump tool you used is a bit bugged, or the game loads the originally 16x16 tiles as 18x18 tiles, which are then just dumped by the tool.
My dumps were made using only the files in the rom, which I've uploaded here. You can view the .f4dat files inside using TiledGGD and these plugins. (use the bindings below to use the plugins)

Code:
    <Binding type="GRAPHICS">
        <FilterSet method="AND">
        </FilterSet>
        <Target type="LUA">Graphics_FFIVR.lua</Target>
    </Binding>
    <Binding type="PALETTE">
        <FilterSet method="AND">
        </FilterSet>
        <Target type="LUA">Palette_FFIVR.lua</Target>
    </Binding>

I have a few relevant questions for ya.
How did you open the ".f4dat" files, better yet how did you rip them from the wad file that is FFIV TAY?
It seems you have both plugins you linked me to already in TiledGGD, how can I use the binding code you show above exactly?
Thanked by:
Hmm, Castlevania, another Wiiware game that uses sprites, also had the problem of all border sprites being doubled. Interesting.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
(08-15-2010, 12:57 PM)Zeemis Wrote: I have a few relevant questions for ya.
How did you open the ".f4dat" files, better yet how did you rip them from the wad file that is FFIV TAY?
It seems you have both plugins you linked me to already in TiledGGD, how can I use the binding code you show above exactly?
I got the files from the wad file using several tools present in a package I found somewhere. Most notably a wad unpacker (by BlaZe) and u8extr (by Gally). I'd prefer not to upload these tools, but this information should be enough to find them. (my versions are probably outdated anyway)
Afterwards however, I still had to unpack several archives myself. Luckily, the format of the archives was not very difficult to figure out. Unfortunately the unpacker for those files are not of the user-friendly type, so I will not provide these. The unpacked files should suffice however, as those files are as low in the file tree as I could get.

If the plugins were already present, the bindings should already have been applied as well. Just drag&drop the .f4dat files into TiledGGD to open them (or use the menu of course).
Thanked by:
(08-15-2010, 01:42 PM)Barubary Wrote:
(08-15-2010, 12:57 PM)Zeemis Wrote: I have a few relevant questions for ya.
I got the files from the wad file using several tools present in a package I found somewhere. Most notably a wad unpacker (by BlaZe) and u8extr (by Gally). I'd prefer not to upload these tools, but this information should be enough to find them. (my versions are probably outdated anyway)
Afterwards however, I still had to unpack several archives myself. Luckily, the format of the archives was not very difficult to figure out. Unfortunately the unpacker for those files are not of the user-friendly type, so I will not provide these. The unpacked files should suffice however, as those files are as low in the file tree as I could get.

If the plugins were already present, the bindings should already have been applied as well. Just drag&drop the .f4dat files into TiledGGD to open them (or use the menu of course).

'Found this by Googleing "u8extr". Is this a fairly good tutorial, possibly the one you followed?
Also, would it be too much trouble to just upload the .f4dat files? @_@
If it is, I'll just do this.
Thanked by:
(08-15-2010, 02:34 PM)Zeemis Wrote: 'Found this by Googleing "u8extr". Is this a fairly good tutorial, possibly the one you followed?
Also, would it be too much trouble to just upload the .f4dat files? @_@
If it is, I'll just do this.
I only had the tools, no tutorial, but it certainly looks like the correct set of tools.
Also, when extracting the files yourself from the .wad, the files do not have the .f4dat extension; you'll have to rename them yourself once you know it is of the proper format.
Uploading just the .f4dat files is not something I'm going to do I'm afraid, as it'll take me only slightly less time as you would need to extract the .f4dat files from the zip.
The tilesets all seem to be in the fcp/cpk/0/ folders though.
Thanked by:
I get "Run-time error '6': Overflow" when I attempt to use the U8 extractor on any of the bin files, such as banner.bin, etc.
Can you give me a run down on what you did exactly? Step by step if possible.
I used the "WAD Unpacker.bat" to unpack all the contents to a folder titled "0001000157463445".
It contains files such as 00000000.app and the such, what should I open so that I can get to fcp/cpk/0/ ?
What program did you use?
I don't mean to sound incompetent, but to me it's like a man with eyes asking a blind man to shoot an arrow at a moving target and hope for the best.

Thank you for your help thus far, I've done enough on my own but am stuck as I said with that run-time error.
----------------
I've decided to go with Previous's version of the fixed tiles.
+rep for both of you. Smile
Thanks for all your help guys.
Thanked by:
(08-15-2010, 09:14 PM)Zeemis Wrote: I get "Run-time error '6': Overflow" when I attempt to use the U8 extractor on any of the bin files, such as banner.bin, etc.
Can you give me a run down on what you did exactly? Step by step if possible.
I used the "WAD Unpacker.bat" to unpack all the contents to a folder titled "0001000157463445".
It contains files such as 00000000.app and the such, what should I open so that I can get to fcp/cpk/0/ ?
What program did you use?
I don't mean to sound incompetent, but to me it's like a man with eyes asking a blind man to shoot an arrow at a moving target and hope for the best.

Thank you for your help thus far, I've done enough on my own but am stuck as I said with that run-time error.
----------------
I've decided to go with Previous's version of the fixed tiles.
+rep for both of you. Smile
Thanks for all your help guys.
You only need to unpack the .app files (and not all of them will work) for this game. However, this will only get you several .bin archives.
These will have to be unpacked. After that, some files need more unpacking (eg: the file fcp/cpk.dat), the result of which (then found in fcp/cpk/0/) can also be unpacked, and those resulting files may need to be decompressed.

However, the unpacked & decompressed result can still be found in this zip archive, so I'm afraid I still have trouble figuring out why you'd want to do the same thing again yourself. =/
Thanked by: