Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
A Journey to the Center of Spriting (Eventually[Maybe])
Welp, decided to get off my butt and work on some spriting. Comrade Atari is a character that myself and a friend of mine made up. Not too much to say on him, just that he's a guy (not necessarily Russian) who wears a Ushanka with an Atari emblem and goggles and generally has stuff to do with Atari. The idea isn't completely fleshed out, but anyway.

This is the reference I'm going off of, a quick sketch done by the co-creater: [Image: comradesketch.jpg]

and here is my sprite: [Image: ComradeDebut.png]

Thoughts, crits, etc always welcome.
好love好
ref=Comrade>/Bk/C2B/Gors,1,2//Sploder/
ref=Nindo>/Apk/Bk/Green//unno/
misc>/Diogalesu/
[Image: fFrame1Big.gif][Image: Frame1Big.gif]
[devart]
Thanked by:
that's a really odd pose, especially on the back leg.
Change the back leg.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
The main problem with the sprite, from what I see, is the anatomy.

[Image: 2rxtfcx.png]

I drew a stick figure over what you sprited, and circled the three points that should be changed. His right leg, our left, needs its knee to be bent a little, should be pretty simple to fix. =]

The next is his left arm, our right. I think the hand and wrist positions are awkward, and should be more straight out than up. Though, I suppose it's fine, just a personal preference.

The other leg bends and then ends with the ankle and foot going at a 90 degree angle. Either the angle of the foot or the slope of the leg should be adjusted.

Additionally, the helmet shows a lightsource to the top right, the shirt should reflect that, along with the wrinkles. Also, you should add another color to the pants to shade them accordingly. Unless your style is to use one color, then you should remove the second shade in the helmet, skin, etc.

All in all, I think this is a really good sprite, man. =] With a few adjustments it could be really good.
Thanked by: Nindo, Cobalt Blue
I appreciate the feedback from both of you, I believe I have hit on most of the things that were pointed out:
[Image: ComradeDebut2.png]

This pose is starting to bother me, at least for a standing pose, or part of an idle animation. This seems more like its part of a movement cycle. Perhaps I should change the pose up a bit? I'll probably see about that in the morning, I'm tired at the moment.
好love好
misc>/Diogalesu/
[devart]
Thanked by:
the problem is the legs. Try actually standing like that for more than 3 seconds and you'll see that it's really uncomfortable. Change the legs.
Thanked by:
try to replicate the pose yourself, and see what happens. then switch to what would be a more natural pose and then you'll fix your current anatomy problems.
Thanked by:
New pose, and that last pose was a hard pose to replicate.
[Image: ComradeDebut3.png]
好love好
misc>/Diogalesu/
[devart]
Thanked by:
pose is better
Thanked by:
The anatomy is a lot better now, you did a good job. =]

I think the next part to make it better would be to up the contrast between your colors, and maybe move around the shading just a tiny bit in some places.

I made a quick edit (I'm supposed to be doing summer work so it was really quick)

[Image: egs3nb.png]

It's definitely far from perfect, but it should give you an idea. Since you use two colors per part, the shades should differ more from each other. Especially in the pants; the blues you chose blend too well together.

I didn't really do it well, but check this tutorial, it'll be helpful.

Good job on this, dude. =]
Thanked by: Nindo, PJAMA
[Image: idko.png]

i dont even know what kind of pose you're going for (because i can't seem to make sense of it)
so i did this

i also messed with the palette a bit
Thanked by: Link, Nindo
(08-04-2010, 08:08 PM)Track Eleven Wrote: [Image: idko.png]

i dont even know what kind of pose you're going for (because i can't seem to make sense of it)
so i did this

i also messed with the palette a bit
For the life of me, I can't figure out what those lines are for. At first I was thinking they indicate the direction the person would be looking, but then that means the second one would have him looking up.
好love好
misc>/Diogalesu/
[devart]
Thanked by:
they're not even for anything i just got bored when i was making faces
Thanked by: Nindo
Welp, this is where I have gotten to today. I'll continue on working with this tomorrow. I guess the pose I was going for was the middle one, but it can't hurt to try doing all three poses just to see what each of them look like. Besides, it'll be great practice. I think I'll try out other dynamic poses in the future.
[Image: ComradeIcon2111111.png]

I'm wondering why you guys kept making him green when you changed the palette. Also, thats not a helmet on his head, its a Ushanka. I guess if I didn't make that clear in the sprite then I have some work to do there as well.
好love好
misc>/Diogalesu/
[devart]
Thanked by:
(08-04-2010, 07:27 PM)Oddish Wrote: The anatomy is a lot better now, you did a good job. =]

I think the next part to make it better would be to up the contrast between your colors, and maybe move around the shading just a tiny bit in some places.

I made a quick edit (I'm supposed to be doing summer work so it was really quick)

[Image: egs3nb.png]

It's definitely far from perfect, but it should give you an idea. Since you use two colors per part, the shades should differ more from each other. Especially in the pants; the blues you chose blend too well together.

I didn't really do it well, but check this tutorial, it'll be helpful.

Good job on this, dude. =]

Wow nice work there. Here, take this vector as a prize:
http://a.imageshack.us/img101/8849/comradeatari.png

I think Comrade Atari should be ATARI's new mascot.
So I made an ad with ATARI's slogan. Cool
[Image: redhatihi.png]
Thanked by:
hi im pjama and im doing random asslicking on others thread for free if you wanna free asslcking call me via pm~Heart

EDIT to make it less offensive: Do not post love images on others' threads. Put them in the Love Topic. It was made especially for this reason.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: