Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
I'm trying Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
This is my first time playing a Castlevania game, ever. What can I expect?
[Image: Bear2.png]
[Image: tumblr_ljk17tWfME1qd7kbno1_250.gif]
Thanked by:
a miserable little pile of secrets
To get your ass handed to you a lot.
Doofenshmirtz: This is a little bit awkward but have you seen my escape jet keys? (Perry nods) What, you have? Well that's great! So where are they? (Perry looks away) You won't tell me? Is this because you don't speak or are you just being a jerk?
~Phineas and Ferb, "One Good Scare Ought to Do It!" (2008)
getting lost
Thanked by: PrettyNier, Marth, Maxpphire
(07-12-2010, 09:18 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: getting lost

so much this
i've explored a ton of the castle, but i'm so stuck right now that i might as well restart the game
i have no idea what i was doing before or where I need to go now
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
Just got my ass handed to me in the trial version. Forgot to save. Have to start over from the beginning. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Thanked by:
do you have a ds
seriously, do you have a ds

get any of the ds castlevanias
you'll get the whole SotN/metroidvania experience from those

not to mention that they're arguably better
Thanked by: Marth
I've never had TOO much of a problem getting lost. I always just tried to fill up as much space on the map as humanly possible. The problem arose when I had to BACKTRACK to an area to use an ability or item that I got that would allow me to progress, but being unable to remember what the area was.
Thanked by:
I picked up one Ds Castlevania game, and the first monsters I encountered took 40+ hits to kill. I've never tried another Castlevania game ever.
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by:
you sure you didn't start the game on level 1 cap mode or something
Thanked by:
Bought the full version. God damn, this bitch is hard. Fun though, and the pixel art is GORGEOUS.
Thanked by: PrettyNier, Marth
(07-12-2010, 10:13 PM)Vipershark Wrote: you sure you didn't start the game on level 1 cap mode or something

Yeah, I'll probably try a different one, because it looks like a really fun series.
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by:
(07-12-2010, 10:15 PM)ThePoopPupu Wrote: Bought the full version. God damn, this bitch is hard. Fun though, and the pixel art is GORGEOUS.

>sotn
>hard

literally every enemy for the first 10 or so minutes of the game is a 1 hit kill
how is that hard

(tbh I find SotN much easier than the other metroidvanias, at least all of the parts of sotn that i've played so far)
Thanked by: PrettyNier
Symphony of the Night is a pretty good game but has a whole bunch of weird design choices compared to every game after that, and the difficulty curves up and down like a motherfucker for absolutely no reason, and a lot of the bosses are really easy (with one notable exception) while regular enemies will have you pulling your hair out at how badly they're designed (the minotaur. fuck the minotaur.)

SoTN also uses a spell system that has you doing overly elaborate button combos, but the game doesn't tell you that you know all these spells from the start and then it asks you to pay to learn them. It's kinda lame.

(the DS castlevanias are objectively better in every way, also)
Thanked by:
(07-12-2010, 10:20 PM)Vipershark Wrote:
(07-12-2010, 10:15 PM)ThePoopPupu Wrote: Bought the full version. God damn, this bitch is hard. Fun though, and the pixel art is GORGEOUS.

>sotn
>hard

literally every enemy for the first 10 or so minutes of the game is a 1 hit kill
how is that hard

(tbh I find SotN much easier than the other metroidvanias, at least all of the parts of sotn that i've played so far)

Not the enemies so much as that first Pterodactyl-Gargoyle tagteam first boss fight. Everything else has been pretty easy to get through.
Thanked by: