Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
[FANGAME][IN DEVELOPMENT] SuikoRoku(A sequel to suikoden II)
I have been working on this game since april and have since decided to release the game in episodes. It uses mostly ripped resources from suikoden 1 and 2 and will carry much of their feel. The battle system is inspired by real skills,items, and attacks in the suikoden games but presented in a ff6 style of battle system. The first episode is only a few hours long but directly sets the scene for episodes 2 and 3. The plot is the strong point of the game. I am very familiar with suikoden lore and continuity. Give it a chance. It's only a few hours long but if you like suikoden, you'll really like this.

[Image: 2d6wpl0.jpg]

Episode 1 is due for release in the next two weeks.
Thanked by:
Does the game follow the concept of character advancement? The main appeal of Suikoden to me was controlling and expanding an army of units - I don't know how you'd carry forward that data episodically very easily...

Edit: Also revolution stories. Every one has a character betrayed to then strike back full force and over-throw a higher power. It's a theme in all Suikoden games.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
There may be army battles in later episodes but not for quite some time.

The plot structure is a bit different than good guy overcomes bad guys. There are several villains with conflicted moral and the game uses a lord of the rings type of view to highlight different parties of characters though its mostly focused on viktor & flik. This is definitely a plot based game, though the first episode is easily the lightest on plot as it mostly just foreshadows a greater plot point in episode 2+3. The first episode just catches you up on whats going on in the world and poses questions while introducing you to dungeons,skills, and runes. The 2nd episode stars Riou and answers some of those questions. The 3rd episode is when the flow of events begin to unfold. It will at least take 25 episodes to tell the story. This game completely bridges continuity with characters from all suikoden games so elements of every suikoden story are combined to foreshadow a greater cause.

Thanked by:
(06-30-2010, 11:25 AM)727 Wrote: It will at least take 25 episodes to tell the story.
uh

why not just
make some compromises and put out a reasonable number of episodes
Thanked by: Rhyme
What's up with the black part of the screen and this charset? Besides that, the mapping of the interior is good. But remember that you have to rip the Suikoden1-style with screens, PSX-VRAM is useless.

Your game reminds me at Exit Fate (also RMXP), but 25 episodes is way too long for a single person to handle (Episode 1 = a few hours? That's much). I think your motivation will decrease after each episode.
[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by:
(06-30-2010, 01:15 PM)Davias Wrote: What's up with the black part of the screen and this charset? Besides that, the mapping of the interior is good. But remember that you have to rip the Suikoden1-style with screens, PSX-VRAM is useless.

Your game reminds me at Exit Fate (also RMXP), but 25 episodes is way too long for a single person to handle (Episode 1 = a few hours? That's much). I think your motivation will decrease after each episode.

Well that was an unfinished screenshot that i've since rectified.
speaking of which, here's an early screenshot from episode 2. I am still finishing up episode 1.

I am making the game at my own leisure so i don't think ill lose interest. My story also tends to build upon itself so it should get more fun for me to make by the episode. I think the next few episodes should go much more smoothly now that i have the core,the resources, and the plot mapped out.

I am not good at ripping screens. I would love to recruit someone to help me with this. Fortunately, the early episodes stay away from areas already explored in the suikoden world but episode 3 has you visit toran so it is almost essential if i want to replicate the feel. Not every area is ripped so keep that in mind. So if someone will help rip backgrounds, the game will look much better.

I leave you with a very early screenshot from episode 2.

[Image: 20qj31j.jpg]
(06-30-2010, 12:56 PM)YONK!!! Wrote:
(06-30-2010, 11:25 AM)727 Wrote: It will at least take 25 episodes to tell the story.
uh

why not just
make some compromises and put out a reasonable number of episodes

This game covers 15 years of time. It's going to at least take 25 episodes. I'm not making them all overnight and they are only about 2 hours a piece. The completed series should take 50+ hours. This story goes all over the suikoden universe and covers many characters,themes, and villains so it has to be quite sizable.

heres some areas that will be involved(there may be a few i forgot)

Falena
Harmonia
Toran
Tinto
Dunan
Kanakan
Island nations

Thanked by:
Well good news and bad news. The good news is you can play the first episode NOW.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CH47OXV9

The bad news is I'm very demoralized. See here's the thing. Episode I wasn't supposed to be an alltime classic. It was supposed to show that is is very possible to make a suikoden game. This game is flawed. I admit it because it's true but it is a suikoden game. It feels and plays like a suikoden game because that's what it is. It's a lot of work to create a fully playable game and I was lazy. Yes I said it. I didn't organize my work and I rushed through it. Is it a terrible game? No. It has some very interesting concepts, it feels very unique, and it has a good story if you have a prerequisite knowledge of the characters. I was just trying to show the world ''Look. It is possible for me to prove you wrong and make a suikoden game. Now let me show you that I can make a BETTER suikoden game.'' but people didn't respond how I had hoped and I find myself unsure of if it's even worth making a better game because does anyone even care? I know that I can take what I learned from this project and make episode II a game that would hold up to any SNES rpg but it just seems to me like nobody cares. So as of now, episode II is on a hiatus.

Thanked by:
lets analyze this point by point:
>lazy development
>unorganized work
>anounced as a direct sequel of Sukoiden 2
>made the game for yourself, not for others

you literally think that as long as the game looks and feels ok for you people should react the same way, but the sole fact that you anounce a direct sequel of a game like sukoiden 2, and instead present a lazy, rushed and umpolished product... its not like there's any other response you could get from sukoiden fans and public in general.

thats why science has created something called "demos". you make a demo, get feedback, and move back to development to use that feedback. now call EP1 a demo and move on on EP2, stop complaining and whinning at your own faults, or simply quit and work on something else.
Thanked by: Gors, Rhyme