Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[GAME][UNPAID TEAM][SCRAPPED] - Harry Potter: Next Generation (MMORPG)
Neutral 
Hey there!
This is my first post, my username is Gaboswsttj but most people call me Lonx Smile.
But enough of me. Right now, me and a partner are working with this engine called BYOND to develop a Harry Potter online Role-Playing game Big Grin.
[Image: gametitle.png]
We're trying to create a game that allows players to actually create and play their own RPs. That would mean, for example, that if a player says: "Then my character jumps out of the window." He could actually do it in the game and fall to... I don't know, the castle grounds, for example Surprise. We're also going to add a fighting system, kind of like the one seen in "Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans".
But we're in the need of a pixel artist Shocked who can create some quality icons for the game, including Hogwarts castle, different creatures, other magical places, and other stuff. Tongue
The pixel artist would be part of the developing team, and he/she would get a staff position once the game is released, so if anyone is interested, please reply to this post!
Thanks in advance!! Big Grin
(We don't need just one pixel artist, by the way. So keep replying!)
[Image: gamelogo.png]
[Image: signaturelonx.png]
Thanked by:
(06-16-2010, 11:42 AM)Gaboswsttj Wrote: Harry Potter: Next Generation (MMORPG)[/font]

(06-16-2010, 11:42 AM)Gaboswsttj Wrote: me and a partner

(06-16-2010, 11:42 AM)Gaboswsttj Wrote: But we're in the need of a pixel artist

While this looks to me like a disguised request and should therefore ignore it, I still feel I should point out the futility of a 2D MMO made by a team of 2 people because they think it'd be cool.

You don't just get up in the morning and say "By golly, I think I should make an MMO today". MMO's are not like making an RPG. They don't just get finished. They require constant maintenance and refining, which is incredibly hard to do in a 2-man team. And don't pull a "it's 2D, how hard could it be" on me, MapleStory (as shitty as it is) was and is kept up by a company (as shitty as it is). And MMO's take absolute shitloads of time to work on. Every level of every class with every quest, it goes on.

So please, post this in the requests board where people will automatically dismiss you as nothing instead of the game development boards where people will be *somewhat* intrigued that you're xXmaking an MMOXx and be let down. Smile
Actually, it's not that hard to make a MMO, contrary to your belief.
I didn't just got up and said, "Hey! I'll make a MMO!". This is a planned project, and it CAN be developed by a 2-person team.
The reason why I'm so sure, is because I already have a MMO based on the Charmed series. I update every once in a while, and it's quite good, actually.
And that's not the only one. There are TONS of MMO made by different persons. You should visit this site http://games.byond.com
BYOND is a free game engine that allows players to create their own online games and publish them. There are tons of games in the site, you just need the free software (which you can get in the same site).
Just like you just said, most of those games are... well, not good. But there are others that are pretty good. Just as a reference, I would like you to check this two games: Dragon Ball Z: Heroes United, and Duel Monsters Genesis. Here's also the link to my game: Charmed Destiny, which you are welcome to play anytime you want.
With nothing more at the moment, thanks for replying Smile
Thanked by:
(06-16-2010, 01:10 PM)Gaboswsttj Wrote: I didn't just got up and said

You might want to improve your grammar before doing an MMO. Baby steps.
[Image: Bear2.png]
[Image: tumblr_ljk17tWfME1qd7kbno1_250.gif]
Thanked by:
(06-16-2010, 11:42 AM)Gaboswsttj Wrote: We're trying to create a game that allows players to actually create and play their own RPs.

You do realise programs like Maptools and such exist for doing traditional gaming on computers, right? You'd have to build something very good and complex indeed to break into that scene; something that's not going to happen between two guys who've not made anything before.

You'd be better off just making resources compatible with Maptools. Textures and tokens, and whatnot.
Specs 'n' Headphones has been revamped! Check it, yo.
[Image: 10y3mgj.png][Image: groove-1.gif]
Thanks to Pik and Solink; they are sexy people. Heart
Thanked by:
MMOs are complex, BYOND is an retarded engine to create your own Tibia fangame. In MMOs you have to create characters, characters and how they interact with other characters (PvP, Party, Guild, etcetera), have to create quests, NPCs, custom spells and their effects, maps what make the player have fun, not a plane scenario with trees. Have to create jobs and evolutions for them (in your case, a HP MMO, wizzard, advanced wizzard, professor, alchemist, dark wizzard, and maybe merchants). Have to create fun quests, an big map (Hogwarts is giant, ok, but isn't enought). And we cannot forget the "24hs server" with a good machine to host.
MMOs are complex, and they're there to make the player have fun, and make a lot of quests, a lot of stuffs. In the case, if you want to make just an HPMMO in Hogwats only, you can't forget the classes, wich has to be different for each job. And we can't forget the songs in game. You have to make your own songs and look for good SFXs effects.

But anyway, if you think, that you can do it all, with a friend. Go on and surprise us.
[Image: SH.png]
Thanked by:
Will this game include non-canon stuff? I don't see how you can make a giant world with just Hogwarts. Even after adding Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade, maybe even Privet Drive, it's still going to be quite a small game.
Thanked by:
(06-17-2010, 09:30 AM)P3DR0 Wrote: But anyway, if you think, that you can do it all, with a friend. Go on and surprise us.

Ok, that's why we're asking for a pixel artist to help us create the creatures and other stuff. About the spells and everything, we've already planned which spells to add.
Here's a complete list: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Spells
Those are the spells we would add. And, of course, as we update the game we might add others.

(06-17-2010, 10:02 AM)Lemon Wrote: Will this game include non-canon stuff? I don't see how you can make a giant world with just Hogwarts. Even after adding Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade, maybe even Privet Drive, it's still going to be quite a small game.

You are right, if we were only adding Hogwarts, Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade and Privet Drive, it would be a small game. But that's not all we are adding. When you create a new character, you will start of as a child (probably age 7) and you will be able to pick from several places to live in. (Not just Privet Drive, we're talking about adding different muggle and magical cities for players to be born in) There, you would be able to get your first wand, and start practicing spells. For spell casting, the player will need certain skill level before he can actually cast nice spells, so as a child, you're able to practice your spell casting skill, and read from books to learn spells. Basically it's kind of a... Harry Potter Sims, if you'd like. When you're 11, you'll be able to chose from Hogwarts, Durmstrang or Beauxbatons to go there and keep developing your skills.

(06-17-2010, 09:30 AM)P3DR0 Wrote: In the case, if you want to make just an HPMMO in Hogwarts only, you can't forget the classes, which has to be different for each job.

Of course, there will also be classes. Classes will be taught by a Teacher NPC, with an interactive system so that players can actually "talk" to the NPC through the chat system. Once you're done with your 7 years of learning, completed your OWLs, and NEWTs, you would be able to try and get a job in the wizarding world. You could pick from either being an Auror, to a member of the "new generation" of Death Eaters. You could work at the ministry, or you could be a wand maker. There would be lots of different jobs.

As for the fighting system, It would be like a classic RPG: You can see the enemies moving around, and when you touch them, you're taken to another background and your character gets a little bigger, and then you start fighting. It would work kind of the same way for dueling, but instead of just touching other player, you would challenge him first, or simply throw a spell at him, and the player would have the choice of fight you or not. That's mostly what we've planned to add so far. We already have the player sprites, for both over world and fighting. We'll be using an edit of the main character from Pokémon Ranger (fighting) and Pokémon Heart Gold (over world), made by me, and we already started making a draft of the code for each spell, so that we can code everything faster and avoid bugs. I insist, we still need a Pixel Artist. I can edit sprites, but I can't create them from scratch, and my partner works mainly with buildings and objects. So if you're interested, we would love to get as much help as possible.
Thanked by:
Way to just totally ignore the important points of what we just said. Aside from the fact there's no way in all hell you'll be able to have a dedicated server for any more than like, 3 people; it could be managed using a dedicated Tabletop RPG client software (e.g. Maptools) to play any kind of freeform RPG.

And in some magical theoretical universe where you did manage to get this shit going; Warner Brothers would give you a cease and desist so goddamn fast you'll think lightning struck your house.
Specs 'n' Headphones has been revamped! Check it, yo.
[Image: 10y3mgj.png][Image: groove-1.gif]
Thanks to Pik and Solink; they are sexy people. Heart
Thanked by: 17 kids
(06-17-2010, 11:47 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: Way to just totally ignore the important points of what we just said. Aside from the fact there's no way in all hell you'll be able to have a dedicated server for any more than like, 3 people; it could be managed using a dedicated Tabletop RPG client software (e.g. Maptools) to play any kind of freeform RPG.

And in some magical theoretical universe where you did manage to get this shit going; Warner Brothers would give you a cease and desist so goddamn fast you'll think lightning struck your house.

I'm not ignoring, simply I'm just sure that I can pull this off. I'm not looking for approval here, I'm looking for the support of a pixel artist, and that's it. I still thank you for your comments and suggestions. I know all of this risks, but I still want to do this, so if you're not supporting me, then please don't try to bring me down. I still welcome all of your warnings, though. And about that of Warner Bros. giving me a cease, well... BYOND is a free fangame site, so I'm not planning on making publicity to the game, the BYOND community is big enough for it, and in the case that they did want me to remove the game, I would do it with no complaints, after all, I do not own any of that stuff.
Thanked by:
(06-17-2010, 12:01 PM)Gaboswsttj Wrote: I'm just sure that I can pull this off
So how's life in the insane asylum you're obviously living in? I ask because that's the only possible way you would be convinced that an MMO could be run by 2 or 3 people
If you can pull this off I'd be incredibly impressed.
Thanked by: Gaboswsttj
(06-17-2010, 12:43 PM)princaipal wailson Wrote:
(06-17-2010, 12:01 PM)Gaboswsttj Wrote: I'm just sure that I can pull this off
So how's life in the insane asylum you're obviously living in? I ask because that's the only possible way you would be convinced that an MMO could be run by 2 or 3 people

Actually
Thanked by:
hahahhaha that looks awful
Thanked by:
(06-18-2010, 06:25 PM)princaipal wailson Wrote: hahahhaha that looks awful
Running and programming a 3-D MMO that lets players sculpt the world takes a lot outta ya.
Thanked by: