Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Super Mario Bros. Star Scramble 3 (Spriter needed!)
Hey there,

Yesterday I've released my latest game, Super Mario Bros. Star Scramble 2 and 2 months ago I released Super Mario Bros. Star Scramble.

The first game has gotten 18,592,991 plays as of today adding about 150,000 per day so I think it's fair to say it's been pretty popular Smile I hope the second part will get a minimum of 20,000,000 plays.

Now, for part 3 I'd like to add more classic Mario features like mushrooms, breakable blocks etc. so I'm looking for spriters who'd like to draw Mario and possibly some other features. I think we can work something out as a reward for your hard work (make sure you have PayPal Wink).

I really like the Mario Party Advance color palette but dislike the shape/posing. I like the shape of Dex/MR21's sprites more (see below).

[Image: samples.jpg]

I think it's best if people who are interested in drawing the sprites would post a sample Mairo below so I can choose which I like best.
Thanked by:
Do you have a specific budget for this job?
Thanked by:
(05-13-2010, 03:12 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: Do you have a specific budget for this job?

Don't worry about the budget, I work for my boss which is gonna do the payment so it's not like I have a spare $20, it will be paid properly. I make a living making these sort of games to give you an idea Smile
Thanked by:
I'll probably whip up something in a bit, I could really use money right about now ;P
Thanked by:
[Image: that_fucking_plumber_by_TyvonnosaurusRex.gif]

Here's something that I whipped up real quick. This was honestly my first time spriting Mario, I think I did a decent job :B
Thanked by:
(05-13-2010, 04:32 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: [Image: that_fucking_plumber_by_TyvonnosaurusRex.gif]

Here's something that I whipped up real quick. This was honestly my first time spriting Mario, I think I did a decent job :B

Hm, I think it's too high compared to the previous sprites I used and I don't like the face with the big nose and Anime-like eyes. Sorry Sad It's a really good sprite, but not really the style I was looking for.
Thanked by:
Do you have a better comparison of a style you're looking for, perhaps? If those are the only flaws that you can find, it shouldn't be that hard to fix them.
Thanked by:
(05-13-2010, 05:03 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: Do you have a better comparison of a style you're looking for, perhaps? If those are the only flaws that you can find, it shouldn't be that hard to fix them.

Yeah, if you take my picture in the first post just try to go with the first style, so the Mario Party Advance style but a pose like you did.
Thanked by:
[Image: marior.gif]

This going in the right direction?
Thanked by:
(05-13-2010, 05:29 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: [Image: marior.gif]

This going in the right direction?

Hell yeah! That's alot better! I'm going to wait a bit see what other come up with but yours is a great entry Smile
Thanked by:
No problem. Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] once you've decided on an artist (:
Thanked by:
Okay, maybe this will inspire more spriters here to sprite for my game:

Super Mario Bros. Star Scramble 2 featured on Kotaku
Thanked by:
1. As they said on MFGG, it's probably not entirely legal to profit on a fan game

2. I hope you fixed the jumping glitch in your engine. Why can no flash developer ever realize that you can hold down the space bar and jump again upon touching the ground? It takes like two minutes to implement the solution:
Code:
var jumping:Boolean = false;
// stuff
function onEnterFrame():Void {
// stuff
if(Key.isDown(Key.SPACE)&&!jumping){
jump();
jumping=true;
}
if(!Key.isDown(Key.SPACE)){ jumping=false; }
};
Thanked by:
(05-18-2010, 10:52 AM)Super Goombario Wrote: 1. As they said on MFGG, it's probably not entirely legal to profit on a fan game
If you stick by those rules, it's not legal for the MFGG or The Spriters Resource to exist since these websites both have advertising and make profit on material owned by others. So that's a false statement and don't worry, I know what I am doing and if not, Nintendo will tell me.

(05-18-2010, 10:52 AM)Super Goombario Wrote: 2. I hope you fixed the jumping glitch in your engine. Why can no flash developer ever realize that you can hold down the space bar and jump again upon touching the ground? It takes like two minutes to implement the solution:
Code:
var jumping:Boolean = false;
// stuff
function onEnterFrame():Void {
// stuff
if(Key.isDown(Key.SPACE)&&!jumping){
jump();
jumping=true;
}
if(!Key.isDown(Key.SPACE)){ jumping=false; }
};

Thanks for the suggestion, I will keep that in mind making my next game(s). Smile I've never seen this as a problem but now you mention it yeah, it's pretty normal not to keep jumping.
Thanked by:
(05-18-2010, 11:27 AM)Kenney Wrote:
(05-18-2010, 10:52 AM)Super Goombario Wrote: 1. As they said on MFGG, it's probably not entirely legal to profit on a fan game
If you stick by those rules, it's not legal for the MFGG or The Spriters Resource to exist since these websites both have advertising and make profit on material owned by others.

...no they don't?
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: Rhyme, Blitz