Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Imp Sprite
[Image: iso_collab_chessboard.png]
For a pixel collab/challenge thing. An imp/devil creature. I can't go much bigger than it is now, it must be isometric and viewing the back. It also must have the black outline. I know that restricts it hugely, but there were rules.
I wouldn't normally post something tiny like this, but he looks off to me and I don't know what's wrong. Also, I could use a lot of help with the colors. Don't crit the shadow's shape. I have no color limits, but I currently have 8+trans.

Haven't sprited in a while, and I want this piece to be something good. Please help.

EDIT: Newest: [Image: iso_collab_chessboard-3.png]
[Image: Altered_photo1_sig.png]
My crit posts tend to make me look arrogant if read the wrong way. That is not my intention. I am open to discussing anything you disagree with, so please do.
Thanked by:
Wing obscured by body looks pretty wrong when you cmpare it to the other wing.
Almost looks like it's backwards.
Wings aren't all uneven like that.
[Image: garrybeusymonsters.gif]
Thanked by:
You are correct.
[Image: iso_collab_chessboard-2.png]
Moved wing so that, I hope, it works more naturally. Unfortunately it's barely visible now. Such is the price of correctness.
The extra space let me round out his back better too.
My crit posts tend to make me look arrogant if read the wrong way. That is not my intention. I am open to discussing anything you disagree with, so please do.
Thanked by:
Perhaps if you use a dark gray color for the imp's shadow instead of pure black the sprite itself would be much easier to recognize as an imp. Currently, the shadow kinda merges with the imp and I had to zoom in a *lot* to figure what was I looking at.
Thanked by: Phantom Killah
Hadn't considered that, great idea. Challenge is messing with me a bit on it though. The dark gray I was going to go with instead blends into the dark base it'll eventually be on. I could end up on either a dark gray base or a white one, depending on the challenge maker. As such, I compromised and made a mid gray.
[Image: iso_collab_chessboard-3.png]
Better?

And I agree, its small, and the black outline makes it hard to read. My hands are tied there though, despite me wanting to do otherwise.
Thanked by:
His head is too round. Maybe is it intentional ? In any case, enlargen the horns.
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
Thanked by:
This doesnt look isometric. at all.
[Image: 2u89uec.png]
also, if you want to give the impresion he's diving/flying, you HAVE TO draw the wings raised. not only it would look more dinamic, but also it would help define it even more. also, use less random bits of shadows and more saturated colors.

also it would help to know what are the limitations of the challenge.
Thanked by:
Thank you, I have no experience with isometric, so I don't know when it looks wrong. I will correct it as best I can.
I agree with the wings, but then they would obscure the head and horns, which I think its important to have visible.
Can do shading fix. With colors, I'm still experimenting, nothing's come out right, but I'll stick to the saturated range.

Limitations are pretty much what I've said: About this size, black outline, isometric, viewed from the back.

Lexou, I kinda like the round head, but I can enlarge the horns. Thanks.

Update later.
Thanked by:
Make it bigger, it'll be easier. You can always reduce it after anyway.
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by: