Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Geno...
[Image: geno.png]
Yes, I am shamefully plugging my dA, I was just to lazy to cut it out. Anyways, I tried keeping it to a small amount of colours to see how I can make something pop out yet still have 7 colours. (That's the amount I used btw)
Gimme some tips on this so I can watch out for any mistakes in the future.
Thanked by:
gonna list stuff because i don tfeel like typing out a nice coherent paragraph

-incredibly sloppy looking
-you obviously dont understand dithering as well as youre trying to, just use another color, there's absolutely no need to dither here
-cant even tell whats going on at the bottom there its like he has a leg and a giant cock just sort of blowing in the wind past the leg in thr front
-youve got green at the bottom there, you said you were limiting yourself on colors, that green could have been another color used to help you shade and avoid using botched up dithering
Thanked by: Gors
The shading...yeah. really needs work. It's hardly there in some places and then its like really heavy and bumpy where it is

theres barely any contrast between his clothes and the background too, doesn't "pop out" at all
Thanked by:
(04-04-2010, 08:43 PM)sweet georgia brown Wrote: gonna list stuff because i don tfeel like typing out a nice coherent paragraph

-incredibly sloppy looking
-you obviously dont understand dithering as well as youre trying to, just use another color, there's absolutely no need to dither here
-cant even tell whats going on at the bottom there its like he has a leg and a giant cock just sort of blowing in the wind past the leg in thr front
-youve got green at the bottom there, you said you were limiting yourself on colors, that green could have been another color used to help you shade and avoid using botched up dithering

Wow, very helpful, I hope you--- I mean, K THNX

Not gonna lie, for a second I thought you were trolling.
And didn't I say I was limiting my colours, Plus my green wasn't incuded for the pallet, But I will try to fix my problems with dithering, You won't see any dithering from me when I'm using a variety of different Colours, And I don't see where a bright green could fit with dull white, blue and, brown colours. And Yeah, At least you realized it was a leg. I'll be sure to find another shading technique for that. Even though you used colourful language, I appreciate your straight forward, no-nonsense attitude. Thanks, By the way, May I see some of your pixel art if you have any? I would like to see it for reference.
Thanked by:
(04-04-2010, 09:23 PM)Kain0saga Wrote: May I see some of your pixel art if you have any? I would like to see it for reference.
there's a thread of mine on the first page of sprite discussion(you're on it)

go find it
i'd honestly link you to it but

nah
Thanked by:
since you're limiting yourself to X amount of colors, i'd put an eye on your color count
[Image: b5qlpf.png]
this is the actual palette of what you posted. ignoring the base color i added, you've got 10 colors incluiding transparency
Thanked by:
I'd definitely make the first shade of that indigo lighter. it took me a second to pick out his clothes because there isn't much contrast.
[Image: bunka3.png]
Thanked by:
yeah the type of dithering you used is really just an old technique for making colors of devices with a limited color amount (think of an old motorola phone or something). It really doesn't look good on a large device like i monitor. Most practical applications of dithering in pixelart nowadays is to show some texture and it's usually used in very small amounts.

good examples of using dithering for texture
[Image: wave2.gif]
[Image: dragon_finished.gif]

a good example of using dithering to create another tone on a limited palette
[Image: nemseis.gif]
[Image: IGBanner.png]
Thanked by:
i'd rather ignore the third example.
Thanked by: