Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
TSR Gym Leader Project [Closed Applications]
With the advent of Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver, the Pokemon craze has been renewed and I have been thinking of what to do with it. I talked about this with Jar and Shawn, and they both liked the idea so here it is.

Now introducing ...
THE TSR REGION POKEMON LEAGUE PROJECT

1.1 Signing Up
Here's the deal-- everyone chooses a SINGLE type and a theme/location/whatever. No one may have the same type, it's first come first serve. Once all types are filled up or no more people are willing to join, we will hold a tournament to narrow it down to eight people who are to be the gym leaders. As of right now I have no intentions of implementing an E4 or champion because I imagine we will be hurting on numbers in the first place.

1.2 Making Your Team
Once you sign up or a type you can begin making your team.Ideally, you would post your team with your claim on a specific type, but it's not required. There ARE rules and limitations on team creation, please follow them.

1. This will NOT be a hardcore competitive thing. That being said, BL, UU, NU, and NFE Pokemon are encouraged. In fact, I will require you to have at LEAST 1 NFE and the other five may NOT consist of all OU/BL.

2. Legendaries are not allowed. No exceptions.

3. Again, as this is not competitive, try and be creative. If your team is full of sub-punchers and choice item users it's going to be really fucking boring fighting you. Be creative/realistic with your move sets. For example, it's hard to believe that a Skarmory would not have Steel Wing regardless of it is a competitive move or not, so a Skarmory would ideally have Steel Wing. Be creative with your move sets as well as the moves themselves. Make cool combos-- I was ecstatic when I saw Chuck's Primape legitimately kicking my ass with his Double Team-Focus Punch combo.

4. For every two Pokemon in your team that matches your gym type, you are allowed one Pokemon of a type that does not match your specialization. This is to ensure you aren't getting completely butt fucked by a single Pokemon on your challengers team just because you are stuck with one type. This off-type Pokemon must fit your theme. Even if it sounds unconventional, as long as you can make an argument for it, I will allow it.

5. EV training is fine but not required. Breeding for natures and IVs are dandy too, just make sure your not spending decades and holding the project back because you are OCD about your IVs and natures. Just get over it.

6. All Pokemon on your team must be owned by you, as in, if I were to look at the summary, it would show your name and trainer ID, no one elses. Pokemon obtained in trades are not allowed, in game or with a friend.

That sums it up really. Just be realistic and don't be in it to win it-- have FUN instead. The gyms are not meant to be unbeatable.

[*OU, BL, UU, NU, and NFE are all "tier" abbreviations. They stand for Over Used, Borderline, Under Used, Never Used, and Not Fully Evolved. Tier lists may e found on http://www.smogon.com]

2.1 Qualifying Tournament
The tournament being held for gym positions will be conducted on Shoddy Battle whether you like the program or not. EVs and Natures may be distributed as you wish, but your IV total MAY NOT EXCEED 100, and no more than 2 stats may have maxed out IVs. The winner of the tournament will be the "8th" and final gym leader, second place will be the "7th" gym leader and so on and so forth. The gym progression system may be abolished if no one is too fond of the idea (like, if you don't want to have to face the 1st gym in order to get to the 2nd, then we can make it a free for all and the tournament will just be a qualifier.)

(*Your official gym roster is the one you will be using in the qualifier tournament.)
(**You will not be matched up with opposing types in your first round unless we are forced to. If the situation gets bad and we have to pair two opposite gym types, some sort of handicap may be given to the person on the bad end of the stick.)

2.2 Gym Battles/Shoddy Battle
Official gym battles may be conducted on Shoddy Battle until your team is completed in game. The rules above for the qualifier tournament apply to official gym battles as well. Otherwise it is preferred that all battles be conducted through Nitendo WFC in the official DS games.

3.1 Challenging a Gym
Challengers must use the same roster for all 8 gyms. If you want to revise your team after you have already beaten a gym leader, you must re-fight that gym leader an win. All badges are maintained even if you revise your team, but you will be unable to earn any more until you have beaten the gyms you had beaten previously with your old team.

Once the 8 gym leaders are set in stone, a gym leader megathread will be made where challenges and results will be posted. Alternatively, you may PM the gym leader asking for a match, but the results must be posted in the topic. Only the gym leaders may post officially accepted battle results, but you may dispute them if they are inaccurate.

Gym leaders may challenge each other, and earn each others badges. If you wish to use a "challenger team" instead of your official gym roster, you may, but you must choose to use your official gym roster if you want to earn your own gym badge.

3.2 Challenger Teams
Challengers must follow the exact rules stated above for gym leader teams, with the exception that your team doesn't have to follow any sort of type/theme restriction. Challenger's teams must be posted and approved in the gym leader megathread. You may not challenge any gym leaders unless you have an approved team posted in the megathread. If you wish to revise your team after beating a gym leader, remember that you MUST re-fight that leader. This is to stop challengers form using optimum teams versus the gyms just for a win.

3.1 Rewards
Currently, I have no idea what rewards will be but I have ideas. These ideas, though, require cooperation form the admins. Admins. Not mods (sorry mods!!!).

If I remember correctly, TSR used to have a little trophy system where members could earn trophies that sowed up under their avatar and such. If any staff members are willing to reinstate this little feature for the sole purpose of gym badges, I would be forever indebted. Once you have collected all 8 badges, I would like some other form of reward such as a different colored name or a little crown sprite by your name or somehting. Also, we could give out Pokemon rewards, such as an Arceus or some other iconic Pokemon. I would require all these Pokemon to be legitimate, though someone would have to duplicate them (I don't know how to Unsure).

If you guys have any ideas that would be great, and I would love to hear them. Also, if any of you are willing to bring an admins attention to this thread to see if they would like to put these rewards in action, please do so as well.

4.1 Gym Profiles
This does not have to be done (as in if you guys don't like the idea, we can just ignore it), but to add some sort of realism or lore to the gyms we could have gym leader profiles. These profiles are to be posted in the gym leader megathread and will include the following (please add any ideas to this list if you want):

-Gym leader's title (such as "Pike Queen Lucy", even though she is not a gym leader).
-Gym leader name (can be any name you want, but try to make it somehting significant such as your irl first name or the name you go by on forums)
-Gym leader sprite image
-Gym leader badge image and name
-Gym leader age and gender
-Gym theme (desert theme, ninja theme, judo theme, etc...)
-Gym location (in a desert, in a ninja, in a judo, etc...)
-Gym leader's team
-Gym leader's strategy (like when a gym leader says "i use steel types cause my dick is hard as steel and so is my ass and steel is just so fucking hard *gets boner*)
-Gym leader biography (doesn't have to be long, but it's completely up to you how much you wanna put)

Again this doesn't have to be done, but if we decide not to do this, everyone will AT LEAST need a badge image and name.

5.1 Terms of Service
All accepted gym leaders' friend codes will be made public, for the game that they will be battling on. If you are inactive for any period of time without notice, your position may be revoked. Likewise if I am gone for any period of time, as project manager, I give permission to any forum STAFF members to take over the project. Anyone (gym leader or challenger) seen using illegitimate Pokemon WILL be banned form the project. This includes fudging your IV numbers and stats in shoddy battle, using Pokemon that have been traded to you, and using hacked Pokemon (no matter if they are legitimate or not). During a challenge, gym leaders and challengers may request to view their opponents team through the in-game "summary" feature to look for any signs of illegitimacy. If any suspicion arises, please contact me via PM with PROOF (does not have to be an image, I will take your word for it) and I will talk to the suspected person in violation of these terms.

None of the guidelines stated above (sections 1-4 including this section) may not be disputed unless it says otherwise. The project leader may revise any rules and guidelines as s/he sees fit.

5.2 Addendums
1.a
Quote:Again, everyone has time to build their teams in-game form scratch, as we will be using Shoddy Battle to do our matches until we can recreate our teams in game. That being said, if you do not have access to a legit copy of DPPt/HGSS or do not have some sort of wifi that you can (reliably) connect to, you may not participate as a gym leader.

1.b
Quote:Traded Pokemon may be used as long as they were caught or bred by you, and raised solely by you. If half of your team is on HGSS and have is on DPPt that is fine, as long as you did all the dirty work. If this is the case, then make sure you can have a way to prove that they are yours (showing a trainer card from all the games the Pokemon came form will suffice). You will not be asked as a requirement to show proof, but the option is open.

List of types claimed already and their status---

Bug: [robo9] (Complete and approved.)
Dark:
Dragon: Rhymey (Complete and approved.)
Electric: Blitz Troopa (Complete and approved.)
Fighting: Aurapigonstilts (Progress unknown ATM.)
Fire:
Flying: Wes (Complete and approved.)
Ghost: Grooveman (Complete and approved.)
Grass:
Ground: icarly viewer (Complete and approved.)
Ice:
Normal: Pokemon Training Apparatus (No team posted.)
Poison: Zac (Complete and approved.)
Psychic:
Rock: SengirDev (Complete and approved.)
Steel:
Water: JarJar (Complete and approved.)

[*If you still have any questions, please ASK THEM AGAIN in this topic or I will not answer them. Thank you for reading this all over again, and It was kind of half baked considering I typed it last night and accidentally delted it all. I had to retype everything this morning and didn't get as detailed as I did before, so it is perfectly fine if you have any questions.]

6.1 Bracket
[Image: 21mdl6p.png]
Thanked by:
This sounds awesome. I pick Flying. It allows for the most originality with my Pokemon because of how many types it's paired with.
Thanked by:
Wow! I like this!

I might have Fighting-types, coz they are tough, agile, and have some sick moves!

EDIT: so, hang on, how do we play this? is it on Heartgold/SoulSilver? Or is it a battle on the site?
Thanked by:
Fire type if nobody's had it yet.

Quick question: do lower gym leaders have smaller amounts of Pokemon, and do they have to have lower evolutions of Pokemon like higher gyms like in the games? Or does it not matter? Because the first thoughts I had for a team consisted of fully evolved guys, and if I even make the cut, I don't know if I'd be high up there.

EDIT:

Redoing my team, based on the specs that are preferred. ALSO, I didn't do the BEST possible movesets just because I thought it would be slightly frowned upon. If these movesets don't seem strong or smart enough, I'll make adjustments.

Houndour
Held Item: BlackGlasses
-Fire Fang
-Crunch
-Double Team
-Mud Slap
(Has a lot of bite to back up it's bark, but ultimately fodder to trick the opponent. Whittle them away with bites while making itself harder to hit)

Charizard
Held Item: Sharp Beak
-Blast Burn
-Air Slash
-Roost
-Smokescreen
(A monstrous, but overconfident powerhouse. Hits hard and roosts to defend it's flying weakness.)

Duskull
Held Item: NeverMeltIce
-Will-o-wisp
-Sunny Day
-Shadow Ball
-Ice Beam
(Provides some tricky support to boost the team's fire efficiency while bringing some new move types to the table to trip up opponents.)

Magmar
Held Item: Black Belt
-Fire Blast
-Confuse Ray
-Sunny Day
-Brick Break
(Combines support with raw power. Confuses opponents and fends off Rock types with Brick Break.)

Torkoal
Held Item: Miracle Seed
-Flamethrower
-Iron Defense
-SolarBeam
-Explosion
(Sometimes the best offense is a good defense!... or a well-placed time bomb!)

Marowak
Held Item: Soft Sand
-Fire Blast
-Dig
-Thunder Punch
-Double Team
(Skull for a head... what's not to like? Dodges with Double Team and keeps water types at bay with Thunder Punch )

Also the additional info for the Gym (No sprites yet though):

-Leader Title: Chief Governor Guycott
-Leader Name: Tom Guycott (first name cut for battle)
-Badge Name: Lawbreaker Badge
-Location: Demonhead Mountain (Volcanic mountain with mechanical fortress elements)
-Gym Leader Strategy: Fight hot and fight dirty.
-Reward: Not yet decided.

Strategy Quote:
"Oh, so you made it, did you? To be honest, I thought you got burned the way here. Clearly you're strong like me if you made it all the way up, but are you willing to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to win? I'm Tom Guycott, the Chief of the Governors, and I'll be waiting to find out!"

Bio:
Tom Guycott, the Chief of the Seven Governors of Demonhead, has trained long and hard in the fiery pits of the underworld to make himself stronger after his defeat at the hands of a Demon. The defeat left him with an appreciation for the raw power of fire. When strength alone is not enough, Guycott can still count on the underhanded tactics he learned as a Governor of the Lawbreakers to turn the tides.

Really this is just full of references to Tom Guycot from Clash at Demonhead (which is the namesake for my account here on tSR).
Thanked by:
Type: Rock
Theme: Ancient
Leader: Historian Sengir
Badge: Antique Badge
Strategy: Rock-solid defense with special attacks that make opponents history
Reward: Ancientpower Charmander (Natures/IVs to be decided) (Not available yet)

[Image: Spr_4d_248.png][Image: Ani248MS.png]
(Tyrannus) Tyranitar - Sand Stream - Quiet
Chople Berry
-Stealth Rock
-Ancientpower
-Pursuit
-Fire Punch
IVs - HP:19//Attack:0//Defense:31//Speed:0//Sp.Attack:31//Sp.Defense:19
EVs - HP:0//Attack:0//Defense:252//Speed:0//Sp.Attack:252//Sp.Defense:6
(Prepare for battle with Stealth Rock and Sandstream)

[Image: Spr_4d_369_m.png][Image: Ani369MS.png]
(Coelacanthus) Relicanth - Rock Head - Careful
Hard Stone
-Sleep Talk
-Rest
-Head Smash
-Aqua Tail
IVs - HP:0//Attack:0//Defense:31//Speed:0//Sp.Attack:19//Sp.Defense:19
EVs - HP://Attack:0//Defense:252//Speed:252//Sp.Attack:0//Sp.Defense:6
(Use devastating attacks while resting)

[Image: Spr_4d_345.png][Image: Ani345MS.png]
Lileep - Suction Cups - Sassy
Big Root
-Recover
-Energy Ball
-Ancientpower
-Toxic
IVs - HP:19//Attack:0//Defense:31//Speed:0//Sp.Attack:19//Sp.Defense:31
EVs - HP:30//Attack:0//Defense:255//Speed:0//Sp.Attack:25//Sp.Defense:200
(Heal while slowly decreasing the opponent's health)

[Image: Spr_4p_411.png][Image: Ani411MS.png]
Bastiodon - Sturdy - Timid
Nevermeltice
-Magnet Rise
-Avalanche
-Ancientpower
-Iron Head
IVs - HP:0//Attack:0//Defense:31//Speed:19//Sp.Attack:31//Sp.Defense:19
EVs - HP:30//Attack:0//Defense:0//Speed:110//Sp.Attack:200//Sp.Defense:200
(Become immune to Ground and fight back with Ice moves)

[Image: Spr_4d_344.png][Image: Ani344MS.png]
Claydol (Ancient Pokemon, looks "rocky") - Levitate - Mild (Based on ancient pottery)
Colbur Berry
-Ancientpower
-Earth Power
-Protect
-Psychic
IVs - HP:0//Attack:31//Defense:0//Speed:31//Sp.Attack:19//Sp.Defense:19
EVs - HP:0//Attack:255//Defense:0//Speed:255//Sp.Attack:0//Sp.Defense:0
(Alternate between powerful attacks and Protect)

[Image: Spr_4d_142.png][Image: Ani142MS.png]
Aerodactyl (akin to Blaine's Magmar and Falkner's Pidgeotto, the "main" Pokemon) - Pressure - Adamant (Yet another Dinosaur)
Razor Claw
-Ancientpower
-Fire Fang
-Aerial Ace
-Roost
IVs - HP:0//Attack:0//Defense:31//Speed:19//Sp.Attack:31//Sp.Defense:19
EVs - HP:30//Attack:0//Defense:0//Speed:110//Sp.Attack:200//Sp.Defense:200
(No specific strategy)

BTW, I've not done much IV/EV-influenced battling.
Thanked by:
Oh. :s I was planning on creating a HGSS Wi-Fi Tournament, but now this is here would anyone join?
Thanked by:
Gym: martial arts hall
Gym Leader: [Image: 67864645.png]

Monferno (M) @ Leftovers [Image: pokemonqv.png]
Ability: Blaze
EVs:
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- Close Combat
---
Lucario (M) @ Fist Plate [Image: pokemonf.png]
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs:
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Aura Sphere
- Dragon Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Extremespeed
---
Weavile (M) @ Leftovers [Image: pokemonc.png]
Ability: Pressure
EVs:
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Surf
---
Meditite (M) @ Leftovers [Image: pokemonj.png]
Ability: Pure Power
EVs:
Brave nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunderpunch
- Dynamicpunch
---
Hitmonchan (M) @ Leftovers [Image: pokemonf.png]
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs:
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Sky Uppercut
- Mega Punch
- Focus Punch
- Earthquake
---
Kabutops (M) @ Leftovers [Image: pokemonr.png]
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs:
Serious nature (neutral)
- X-Scissor
- Seismic Toss
- Superpower
- Aqua Tail
---

Strategy quote: 'Hello there. Im the fighting-type gym leader, and I must say, you've got guts to come for a fight. My Pokemon are ready to take you down, so BRING IT ON!!!'

Thats my final team
Thanked by:
Do you think enough people have it to be interested in a little round based tournament? I'd only need around eight people ;/
Thanked by:
Should be Smile
Thanked by:
Mantine
Charizard
Flygon (not Flying type, but has wings and has "Fly" in its name)
Crobat
Scyther
Honchkrow

I have a question though. It says the Pokemon have the be mine. What if a Pokemon can't be found in my game? Like I plan to have Flygon on my team, but Trapinch can't be found in HGSS. Could I catch a Trapinch in my own copy of Sapphire and migrate it HG to train up int hat game? It's technically from a trade, but it's still my Pokemon so I'm not sure if this is allowed. If not, then I can just take him off of the team.
Thanked by:
natures are not final, may change ingame, IVs will also obviously change ingame as well, these are currently on shoddy. (just changed after having matches, so i'll have to retest)
IVs/EVs go by: hp/atk/def/sp.atk/sp.def/spd

Theme: Cryptozoology

Sealeo
Nature: Brave
Item: Lum Berry
Ability: Thick Fat

Yawn
Ice Ball
Super Fang
Aqua Ring
IVs: 31/31/19/0/0/0
EVs: 252/252/4/rest 0

Lapras
Nature: Brave
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor

Dive
Perish Song
Block
Ice Beam
IVs: 31/31/19/0/0/19
EVs: 252/252/4/rest 0

Swampert
Nature: Quiet
Item: Brightpowder
Ability: Torrent

Mud Bomb
Muddy Water
Sludge
Outrage
IVs: 0/31/19/31/19/0
EVs: 130/128/0/252/rest 0

Armaldo
Nature: Adamant
Item: Muscle Band
Ability: Battle Armor

X-scizzor
Aqua Tail
Crush Claw
Dig
IVs: 19/31/19/0/31/0
EVs: 4/252/252/rest 0

Sharpedo
Nature: Jolly
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin

Dive
Crunch
Bounce
Aqua Jet
IVs: 19/31/0/0/0/31
EVs: 4/252/0/0/0/252

Tentacruel
Nature: Timid
Item: Wise Glasses
Ability: Clear Body

Wring Out
Confuse Ray
Surf
Sludge Bomb
IVs: 19/0/0/31/19/31
EVs: 128/0/0/128/0/252
Thanked by:
I think if you have to trade to get it, you have to breed it in HG/SS

This seems interesting, I'm going to keep my eye on this
[Image: smugnificent.gif]
[Image: GiantPKMN4.gif]
Thanked by:
Well I started a Wi-Fi tournament for those who dont wanna use shoddy, so feel free to sign up.
Thanked by:
Yo Fighting Type here.

Blaziken
Breloom
Poliwrath
Heracross
Gallade
Primeape
Thanked by:
dibs on dragon, gotta look at the tiers and pick a team in awhile.

Gabite
Dragonair
Altalria
Salamence
Kingdra
Flygon

Gabite:
~Nature: Jolly/Adamant, haven't decided. will

decide when i install shoddy tomorrow.
~Item: Quick Claw

~Moves: Dragon Rush, Sand Tomb, Take Down, Thrash
~Strategy: basically a kamikaze pokemon.

Dragonair:
~Nature: Modest
~Item: Focus Sash

~Moves: Light Screen, Aqua Tail, Twister, Shock Wave
~Strategy: Not really any strategy here

Altalria:
~Nature: Adamant
~Item: Leftovers

~Moves: Sing, Perish Song, Dragon Dance, Sky Attack
~Strategy: Sing, then peck away at hp, and if it wakes up and deals a good amount of damage, perish song.

Salamence:
~Nature: Adamant
~Item: Choice Band

~Moves: ThunderFang, DragonClaw, Earthquake, Aerial Ace
~Strategy: try to predict whats gonna get sent out and start choicebanding

Kingdra:
~Nature: Jolly
~Item: WiseGlasses OR ChoiceSpecs

~Moves: Hydro Pump, Toxic, Signal Beam, Iron Head
~Strategy: Poison, then attack.

Flygon (the "main" pokemon):
~Nature: Not decided