Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ran's - Crit my sprites please
Wink 
These are some of the sprites I've made in the past.
Need some feedback in general for future spriting.

Character Rudi:
[Image: mmx7gh.jpg]
[Image: aebc5t.jpg]
[Image: flwopl.jpg]
[Image: 257gcv5.jpg]

Others:
[Image: 2vd4tvq.jpg]
[Image: 2uhy71h.jpg]
[Image: 24p9x5k.jpg]
[Image: ayrixh.jpg]

I'll update this thread with other sprites later when I get the time, but yeah.

Feed back plox.
[Image: Intro_Project2_zpsa3f9d668.gif]
Thanked by:
i have the idea that these are edited, am i right?
Thanked by:
Yeah, edited from a base I made. Started off from an ff6 base and went off from there to make it more of a original style.
Rudi's a character edit from a base of rpgmaker sprites, but these are original edits.

The pixie/fairy sprite is an original.
Thanked by:
would you post the originals in order to have an idea?
Thanked by:
I've got other original characters, but I fear people ripping my stuff off w/o credit so...
I DO do confirmation spriting just if your speculating if these sprites are mine or not. Bust a request, I'll post it up asap.

But yeah, the pixies an original sprite.

I need the most feed back on her, since I think somethings up with the arms and hands.
Thanked by:
may i give you a little piece of advice? nobody is going to rip your stuff. if you are so scared to post the originals because you believe someone gives a damn about them, then well good luck with your paranoia.

its not about if these are yours or not, i just want to see how much of an edit this is(as in how much you actually did on your own)in order to have an idea of your skill.
Thanked by:
Paranoia? Nah... Experience sounds more like it.
I've been around, and had it happen.

But give me another piece of advice, what do you consider original and what isn't?

Because these are the bases I've used to create other characters. Unless you wanna see a FF6 character sprite sheet that I used to reference size, poses, shading, and body parts. LOL I hope you've seen FF6 styled sprites, cause they do look similar to the sprites I've made.

Anyways,
Here's somewhat crappy template I use to start out on what I need for poses.

Original Male Template:
[Image: Battlesheet_RMasterTemplate00.gif]

*Edit: Crit first posts, I don't need to add all these sheets here anyways*
Thanked by:
Original as in "can we see where you edited the base from in the first place?". Not original as in custom I think.
You say "Rudi's a character edit from a base of rpgmaker sprites, but these are original edits," so I'd like to see this base of rpgmaker sprites, because I don't know what they look like, and they'd let me know how extreme of an edit these are.

Seriously, no one's going to steal your sprites around here. It really is paranoia.

On the fairy(which is the only thing here which is fully yours, you say), well, its nice and smooth, and you obviously grasp the concepts of shading and lineart, but is 22+trans colors really necessary? I mean, the sprite is 46x49, there are almost definitely unneeded colors. Heck, it'd probably take less than five minutes to drop three blues, and skin, wing, and dress tones can all be lessened by adding a bit of contrast. Also, why not simplify the flower a bit and turn it blue? You can immediately lose all five reds that way. It isn't in danger of blending into your sparkles. To address your fear on the arms & hands, they look fine. Only thing I can imagine is that the outstretched arm is too short, and that a lack of a visible elbow might be throwing you off. I don't really recommend adding much of one though, it'd be distracting.
I'm interested in seeing more original work like this out of you, less itty-bitty rpg edits.

Also, on the Rudi animations, on the 1st & 3rd ones, he slides back, which really messes with the mind. Ground him when animating so he doesn't drift around.
[Image: Altered_photo1_sig.png]
My crit posts tend to make me look arrogant if read the wrong way. That is not my intention. I am open to discussing anything you disagree with, so please do.
Thanked by:
This sprite sheet is the one the other artist gave me to edit and redo the Rudi character.
[Image: rudibattle.png]
[Image: Rudisheet.png]

This is the sprite sheet I made off of it.
[Image: 2qvd00l.jpg]
[Image: 2med8xj.jpg]
Thanked by:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2qvd00l.jpg
Do you have this sheet in better quality?

And yeah, sprites looking awesome, especially RTP-Alex Heart

Ego Wrote:Seriously, no one's going to steal your sprites around here. It really is paranoia.
yep, even the people from the Rm2k-community prefer to make/edit their own sprites. Mostly the beginners (which are not very good in game-making) are depending on sprites from other people.
[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by:
Oh boy, heavy flashbacks in this thread Big Grin Makes me wanna try out RPG-Maker again.
And I somehow figured Davias would show up here Wink

Anyways, I really like how these turned out, the animations are nicely done and look pretty good for what you had to work with. Stylewise.
There's one thing that really stings though...
Rudi's arms look a bit weird colorwise, like he went sunbathing with a mask or something, but I don't know if it was intentionally...
[Image: 6SqMy.gif][Image: 6SqMy.gif]
« Ref »
« »
Thanked by:
Could you do PNG instead of GIF please?
[Image: ra2mvm.png]
I LOVE BEING PURPLE!!!!
Thanked by:
(03-20-2010, 05:46 PM)Andy Justicehammer Wrote: Could you do PNG instead of GIF please?

Eh? What's wrong with gifs?

Unless you talking about the messed up sprite sheet I put up. That one got messed up for some reason I'm not aware of, so now the original sprite sheet I have is that messed up one.

Although the animations used the clear quality sprite sheet, so the animations didn't lose any quality, just the sprite sheet.
Thanked by:
are you aware that the gif format has a much smaller color depth(amount of colors allowed per image) than pngs, and thats why it got all messed up? it seems it was saved as a low color depth gif in mspaint(probably) wich would explain the dithering.
Thanked by:
(03-22-2010, 02:30 AM)Francisco Cifuentes Wrote: are you aware that the gif format has a much smaller color depth(amount of colors allowed per image) than pngs, and thats why it got all messed up? it seems it was saved as a low color depth gif in mspaint(probably) wich would explain the dithering.

You're right, I think that's what happened. But meh, It works still. It was just a temporary project anyways.
Thanked by: