Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Community Discussion: IRC Channel
Official tSR Community Discussion: Competitions

This thread is what the title says; A community discussion. I hope to be able to hold a community discussion every now and then, just to get your input on the forum.

Seeing as how recently, things have seemed a tad stale around these parts, the staff have been wondering: Would you like to see tSR bring back Community Competitions?

We've had competitions in the past. We haven't always held the community's interest, however, and even when we did, something always went wrong, haha. However, with things being how they are, do you think something like competitions could spice things up?

There are several competitions we could possibly hold, depending on the community's interest and general will to participate.

Some things we've been considering:

Quote:Spriting Competitions- These have been done in the past.

Drawing Competitions- I'm not too sure if these have been done, but seeing as how a good amount of the members here enjoy drawing, it might just work!

Gaming Competitions- Basically gaming tournaments; People with X-box Live, PSN, or Wii could sign up to compete against each other in community-wide tournaments, and the winner would get some sort of prize. I won't be dealing with that, as I don't play many video games, so I'm expecting Tyvon to be able to handle that, haha.

We're also considering bringing back badges. These badges would be given to the Top 3 winners of the competition. The last time around, we had 'participation' badges, and that made things hard to handle, so basically getting rid of those might make things easier on the staff.

So, tSR. What kind of competitions would you like to see? Would you agree with what we have? Would you participate? Would you like to have badges brought back? Please, leave your opinions here; the staff would love to have your input!
Thanked by: Ultimecia, Ton, redblueyellow
Custom sprites are always fun. The trick, I think, is not to bog down the community with competitions and to make the competitions something that anyone can relate to. Not huge backgrounds, but stuff like Mario characters, or Sonic characters. It keeps it accessible, I think.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by: Koopaul, Iceman404
Fun times ahead

Besides those competitions we can do some annual or some that takes a while longer to happen, for example videos and music competitions. Maybe short games too, if the community feels up to.
[Image: MegaEXESig.png]
Thanked by:
Also, Pokemon tournaments. Especially with HG/SS coming out soon.
Thanked by:
Pokemon tournaments would surely draw in participants!

Ultimecia, yes, those ideas sound great. I'm sure several people here would participate in the music competition, and a gaming competition would be interesting, as well!
Thanked by:
i'm for p. much all of these. weekly sprite compos generally work best because it keeps it fresh and as long as you keep it simple enough nothing should really take any longer
Thanked by:
What kind of prizes would be given out to winners?

Also, I support the idea of future Pokemon Tournaments.
[Image: 27348983yu7.png]
Thanked by:
We're thinking about badges again. Making them a bigger deal.
Thanked by:
I'm surprised no one said "Smash Bros Tournament" yet
[Image: MegaEXESig.png]
Thanked by:
Maybe competitions that allow a bit of imagination:

Sprite your own made up Pokemon in GS style.

That way someone can be judged for both original idea and good looking sprite.

Thanked by:
Don't forget about PC gaming.~
Thanked by:
There's also Tetris puzzle leauges, I think half the boards have Tetris DS (my skills are a bit rusteh). But I'm all for a pokeyman tournament for HG/SS.

A way to get me active again, yes?
Thanked by:
You know what would be really fun (but at the same time not necessarily that practical)? Contests in games made by people here. Stuff like fan games or original games. However, that would pretty much exclude the creators of said games, seeing as they'd already know it from top to bottom. Very Sad

Or maybe there could be game-making contests. o:
Thanked by:
I'd be up for some kind of Xbox Live tournament or a Smash Bros Tournament.
Thanked by: CitaMarrith
The only problem I really have with any sort of Spriting competition or challenge is that your always going to end up not having enough time to work on an entry fast enough to meet the deadline.

I think I recall that back when Mozzy was holding all of those sprite challenges everyone was complaining how you had to do a specific sprite in a week. Far as I'm concerned comps should at least be a month long.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by: