Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Moral decisions in games?
Did you ever play a game where you were free to make a moral decision? Whether to play for the good side, the bad side, or some other faction? Have you ever actually had trouble going with the bad side due to personal morals?

I have with Bioshock 2, I know it's only a game but I can't bring myself to killing a little sister it just seems heartless and cruel, so I always take the rescue option.

ITT; we discuss moral decisions we made in games.
Thanked by:
Good if I take the game seriously, bad if it's a game I dick around in.
Thanked by:
(02-10-2010, 11:15 PM)Helter Skelter Wrote: Good if I take the game seriously, bad if it's a game I dick around in.
[Image: ioncesawyouholleringint.jpg]
Thanked by:
i like it if there's actually some subtlety, like your character's appearance and personality change slightly depending on how you play. i dont like it when it just asks you if you want to burn the orphanage or donate a kidney
I'm pretty indifferent to moral decisions simply because I usually take the good side. the fact that I have the option to be "evil" doesn't really enhance my gameplay.

I liked what Mass Effect did. you're still the hero in the end no matter what, so it was less of a good/evil dichotomy and more a heroic/antiheroic one.

I do like that games include it though, it can add a lot to the story if done right.
[Image: bunka3.png]
Thanked by:
for fallout 3, I'm doing multiple playthroughs
one good, one bad, and one neutral

in GTA, I try not to do bad things unless a mission requires it. Given the choice of killing someone or letting them live (for a mission), I'll normally let them live.

anything else, I'll probably just take the amoral option.

When I eventually play Bioshock, chances are I'll kill every little sister I come across.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
(02-10-2010, 11:15 PM)Helter Skelter Wrote: Good if I take the game seriously, bad if it's a game I dick around in.
Thanked by:
most hated decision i had to take in a game ever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meppXUIj28E

i seriusly though which one i should pick for a while before picking one. the decision itself had no real 'impact' on the gameplay, but i was so involved with the characters i really reached a point where i didnt want to pick the wrong one, to a point both choices where wrong, to a point i just decided to pick it randomly.
Thanked by:
usually I'm opposed to the system, but that's generally because it's execution is pretty terrible

or blatantly obvious. in which case - read above

I prefer when the moral decisions and what they would entail are blurred; not necessarily identifiable as a forced GOOD or BAD choice but rather a natural event that would require choice in some capacity

I find that the Shin Megami Tensei games usually do a great job of these kind of overarching and inherently moral (without actually being "good" or "bad") decisions, like for example the Reason* system in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne or the more simplistic Law/Neutral/Chaos of the first two titles.

*in Nocturne, the world has ended and is in an almost "cocoon" state, from its previous form to its next form - s state wherein entities and factions begin warring and collecting power to try and shape the next world to their desire. Yosuga (survival of the fittest), Musubi (everyone lives in their "own" world), Shijima (everyone is at "one" with the universe, no emotion; a world of stillness) being the primary ones, though there are three other (neutral, demon and true demon) endings/paths you can take.
Thanked by:
(02-11-2010, 01:44 AM)Francisco Cifuentes Wrote: most hated decision i had to take in a game ever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meppXUIj28E

i seriusly though which one i should pick for a while before picking one. the decision itself had no real 'impact' on the gameplay, but i was so involved with the characters i really reached a point where i didnt want to pick the wrong one, to a point both choices where wrong, to a point i just decided to pick it randomly.

that video made me laugh

"Ryo, let me take a pict- NO THAT'S OKAY"
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: PrettyNier
Didn't Anthony Birch creator of Hey Ash Whatcha Playin' have a Rev Rant about how Modern Warfare 2 makes you make a terrible decision and side with someone you shouldn't?

Anyway, I like when I'm given my own choices I wish they affected my characters world more deeply. At least in that regard Mass Effect is 10/10 on moral choice.

For example, Giz just mentioned the Shin Megami Tensei games. I personally enjoy the Persona games more, simply because I like school day settings. Your given choices, but your only benefit is to see immediate reactions. How you act doesn't effect the ending or even the behavior of certain key people in game even though your speaking directly to them.
[Image: VeM0J5C.gif]
[Image: clVthBd.png]
You may also know me as Giraffe
Thanked by:
oh, i have more to say

Quote:usually I'm opposed to the system, but that's generally because it's execution is pretty terrible

or blatantly obvious. in which case - read above

I prefer when the moral decisions and what they would entail are blurred; not necessarily identifiable as a forced GOOD or BAD choice but rather a natural event that would require choice in some capacity

I find that the Shin Megami Tensei games usually do a great job of these kind of overarching and inherently moral (without actually being "good" or "bad") decisions, like for example the Reason* system in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne or the more simplistic Law/Neutral/Chaos of the first two titles.

*in Nocturne, the world has ended and is in an almost "cocoon" state, from its previous form to its next form - s state wherein entities and factions begin warring and collecting power to try and shape the next world to their desire. Yosuga (survival of the fittest), Musubi (everyone lives in their "own" world), Shijima (everyone is at "one" with the universe, no emotion; a world of stillness) being the primary ones, though there are three other (neutral, demon and true demon) endings/paths you can take.

Another thing I like about Nocturne is that many times there is an inherent almost ironic contradiction contained within the choice system/morality system of other games - Nocturne doesn't have that. In other games the presence of choice ultimately creates and spotlights the limitations. You only have a small, set number of choices to choose from in most games (despite the implications being that you are a Big Bad Choice Machine, god damnit) and as such you will not necessarily find a choice that mirrors what you would do - this breaks immersion and spotlights the falsity of the choice system. It goes without saying that that's a bad idea.

However, in Nocturne it isn't based on you having absolute power of choice or on the basic "good/evil" morality, it's based solely on how you react to the world around you. You, being a half-demon, are unable to conceive of a Reason (only humans can, of which there are only 3 left). This means that by the mythology of the game itself your limitations are also the limitations of the character and the circumstances you've been thrust in to.

as a result of that, the falsity of the choice system never really comes up and all of the choices and responses feel much more "natural".
Thanked by:
thank this post if you felt bad whenever you beat up a chao in sonic adventure
I hated those damn Chao things...
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by: Chdonga
(02-11-2010, 05:01 PM)Goemar Wrote: I hated those damn Chao things...

Hate you Goemar. How can you say that kind of shit man? HOW?!
[Image: VeM0J5C.gif]
[Image: clVthBd.png]
You may also know me as Giraffe
Thanked by: