Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: What should I improve
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Tile lineart/ other
0%
0 0%
Tile Shading
0%
0 0%
Medusa lineart/bullets
0%
0 0%
Medusa shading
100.00%
1 100.00%
Total 1 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Medusa IM BACK! Continue c+c pleAse
Like the title said, I have some work that I am working on, these are not my first sprites. I worked a long time on these and am prepared to work another couple months. I won't wine, so give me criticism I can work with.

I changed to only Medusa for the time being so that I can focus on it.

First I have a couple questions about these:

Medusa is Kirby Advance style by the way.

1. How should I shade the 'body' of Medusa?

2. How should I shade the 'bullets' of Medusa?

3. Anything else wrong?

Medusa from Kid Icarus KA style: BTW: The bottom colors look weird, does anyone know where there is a good KA green pallete because that's the only one in the game.

[Image: MEDUSA-1.png]

C+C away!

EDIT: That's weird, i saved PNG and it looks fuzzy....
Thanked by:
wait what

why

why would you just take advice and then work on something for a month
when posting your updates and revisions constantly as soon as you make them makes infinitely more sense
Sorry, I will do that.

Do you have any C+C?
Thanked by:
well for starters, you look like you're shading just to shade (the gradient looking thing you have going on right now)

shading should be about showing depth, it should never be there just to be there
Thanked by: SpartanFever
Thanks for the advice but I don't really know what gradient is. And how could I shade to show depth, as I now see that everything looks flat , wow I have the worst editing eye Sad

SpartanFever
Thanked by:
i could also advice you with three things:
1)dont make polls.
2)split the sprites into individual images. less space used and way more organized in general.(when posting on the forums). large sheets with unnecesary white spaces/text do nothing but distract the viewer from what you want us to see.
3)we know when you post because your username appears at the left side of your comment, no need to add your name at the end of it. it makes you look like an idiot.
Thank you, I will change the sprite layout when I get ylto a computer, I'm on an itouch. any c+c though?

How do take off a poll, I'm trying to find it in edit...
Thanked by:
there is no AA and the lines are jaggy

you could get better colors too (hueshift)The bullets are pillowshaded, save the one with the face. See how it conveys the 3D feeling, compared to the norma bullets.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Ok as soon as I get to a computer (in one hour) I will fix this. Your talking about medusa right? Ya, the pillowshades bullet wasn't the one I was going to use, I was finishing up the face for the snake bullet. By the way, the colors I used were from amazing mirror, so which sprites colours should I use, but thank for the c+c

[Image: MEDUSA-1.png]

This is the new update, the bottom color are the only green pallete in KA, which kind of sucks because it's ugly. Please helpe me find a good pallete.

I smoothed out the lines and the A+A looks wrong
Thanked by:
a gradient is when you have shading that gets darker gradually, like what you have at the bottom.

unless the character is really rounded at the bottom, you should take that off. (and even if it is rounded it should be improved upon, use less shades; restrict yourself before you use too many different colors.)

know where your light source is and then add a little bit of shading to show the shape of the character. I'd suggest putting some under the hair, since that's obviously going to leave a shadow if the source is from the top or the side.
[Image: bunka3.png]
each surface of the character reacts to the light in a diferent way. surfaces that are directly hit by a light source(wich is from where the light is casted-top left in this case)are brigher, while surfaces who are not are darker. just like any other object in real life.

look how elements around you are afected by light and how they cast diferent shadows over their surfaces. also remeber, diferent materials reflect light in diferent ways. polished materials like chrome are super reflective while textured materials like wood are not. not every sprite has to be extremely shinny.
Oh my god, thank you guys so much, I will post an update with your criticsm as soon as I done with my work, should I reduce the amount of shading in the hair too, or just the body? I'll just take one or two shades off
Thanked by:
a good way to start would be to keep shading to two basic colors(flat/base color+dark shade) and then add two more colors(highlight and transition between base color and dark color).

this is by no means a rule, keep that in mind, its just a simple method of progresively shading your object in order to depict every shape.
[Image: f44nix.png]
another thing i noticed when i "tried" to shade it is that there are no shapes to be shaded besides the hair. there is nothing to be shaded and there is hardly any surface that could be hit by light. the lineart is still quite jaggy, inconsistent and hardly shows any anatomy(yes, even that thing has an anatomy to follow). even though it could be based off a sprite that originally didn't need shading, when you render it into a world where a light source is present you need to give it also a "platform" to let this lightsource thing work. or else it will look like a not so fancy whoreish make up.

PS: before i forget: picking colors from an existing sprite is fine at the beggining, as a filler, but is by no means a lifesaver. soon or later you'll realize you'll be way more efficient when you learn how to pick your own colors, that work exactly like you want them to be.
Thank you so much 'Francisco' I see what you mean,is this good for the shading, I cut down on one shade for the hair and two for the body, but should I cut down to three for the body?

[Image: MEDUSA-2.png]
Ya, and thanks about the colors things. I think I have a pretty stable pallete for the green one, but I will change it once I get the gist of the sprite.

P.S. Should I do another frame for hurt or no, because most KA sprites just have a tear or they are 'dead'
Thanked by:
did you read the WHOLE thing i just wrote?
Thanked by: