Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
For my first sprite trick...
While I am not ready to start sending submissions right away, I thought I would be best to display my first sprite creation to the site...

In case most of you aren't highly aware, the half-genie, Shantae, transforms into animals using magic dances. Unfortunately, there isn't actually a good detailed transformation animation that shows her changing into the animal. All that we see is the screen flashing, Shantae becoming a silhouette of herself flashing the colors black and yellow, and then she suddenly becomes the animal....... Not much of a transformation sequence, huh?

.......... To tell you the truth, I'm not sure that is actually the transformation sequence since I only saw a video of it and don't remember the whole thing...... Alright.... I'm wasting too much time and I really need to cut to the chase. Before I start blabbing on, I got to show you guys my prototype of Shantae's new transformation sprites!

The credit for the sprites used goes to EternalLight for the original Shantae sprites (both her normal and animal forms).

[Image: ChangingShantae.png?t=1260724272]

By the way, I had to remove that blue dot on Shantae cheeks because I'm not sure it's actually part of the original sprites. Also, I edited her harpy form to make it seem more decent. Besides, I bet there are a bunch of people who don't actually want to see certain areas of a woman's chest, so I had to edit it to make it look like the harpy is wearing some sort of bra.

If you have any suggestions on how I can edit the sprites, please tell me. That way I can improve them and finally put the finishing touches on the sheet (i.e. organize it and add a credit tag).

By the way, this is my first time submitting something to TSR, so don't be rude about it, or offend me in any way I see as vulgar.
Thanked by:
Could you supply me with the original sprites please? I don't understand, are these edits or are they based off some other sprites in terms of animation?
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
Hell yeah Shantae.

These looks pretty cool.
Thanked by:
I've never actually played Shantae but this makes me want to try it
from an outsider's perspective though, these actually look really good
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
That half-genie can move a lot in a special way. Smile
[Image: ra2mvm.png]
I LOVE BEING PURPLE!!!!
Thanked by:
(12-13-2009, 01:34 PM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: Could you supply me with the original sprites please? I don't understand, are these edits or are they based off some other sprites in terms of animation?

Sure thing! I'll just supply you with the proper links...

Normal Shantae
http://www.spriters-resource.com/gameboy...heet/13500

Shantae as the animals
http://www.spriters-resource.com/gameboy...heet/13501
Thanked by:
oh, well if you made those transition sprites, they're really good!
[Image: OH4K4jX.gif] [Image: R7WBBzo.gif] [Image: TsJpssj.gif]
-----------------------[Love]-----------------------
Thanked by:
(12-13-2009, 08:34 PM)Baegal Wrote: oh, well if you made those transition sprites, they're really good!

What can I say? Shantae didn't have any transformation sprites, so I did her a huge favor and made her some! Not bad for a junior member, huh?
Thanked by:
indeed. mind making an animated gif to see how these work in movement?
Thanked by:
(12-14-2009, 06:25 AM)Metaru Wrote: indeed. mind making an animated gif to see how these work in movement?

seconding this, these are pretty great. Shantae had some pretty smooth animations too.
[Image: bunka3.png]
Thanked by:
(12-14-2009, 04:05 PM)Jovian-12 Wrote:
(12-14-2009, 06:25 AM)Metaru Wrote: indeed. mind making an animated gif to see how these work in movement?

seconding this, these are pretty great. Shantae had some pretty smooth animations too.

Well... You did ask... Alright! While I won't show you Shantae changing into all her forms, I will at least show you the icon that the sprites come with, which is animated and made by me.

[Image: Icon.gif?t=1260843859]

Not a bad looking animated icon, huh? ........ Now... Because of all the positive feedback I'm getting, I'm starting to consider making the final layout for the sprites and sending them to the management to have them posted on the site.

Also, I enjoyed working on the Shantae style so much (you guys are right on how the game is animated since the animation was some of the best for all Game Boy Color games) that I want to make more sprites in the style! Does that sound pretty good to you guys?
Thanked by:
thats a not so good looking transition now that i see it animated. feels like a transformer morphing into a car.

make it so it wouldn't be evident that you worked from the face then went outwards. as in actually moving the body down as she gets smaller.
Thanked by:
the thing is, there's no movement with the transformation, it's more or less just the body shrinking and deforming while staying in a static location.
[Image: IGBanner.png]
Thanked by:
looks okay. Either way, it isn't the usual newbie jpeg stuff
[Image: OH4K4jX.gif] [Image: R7WBBzo.gif] [Image: TsJpssj.gif]
-----------------------[Love]-----------------------
Thanked by:
(12-14-2009, 11:56 PM)Kaikimi Wrote: the thing is, there's no movement with the transformation, it's more or less just the body shrinking and deforming while staying in a static location.

Oh dear.... I was afraid there was going to be someone to point out that something is wrong...

You see, I had to make the body static in order to make the transformation process easier to animate. Besides, it's not like she'll have that pause before she transforms. If you take a look at this animation, you'll see what the transformation sequence is supposed to be like.

[Image: TransformShantae.gif?t=1260996394]

Before you ask, I know that the monkey dance is wrong, but I never played the game before, so what did you expect? I say I did a pretty good job animating it, so if you wish to point out anything else, then why don't you try animating one of Shantae's transformations to show me how it should really be done? Besides, the animation sequences I made are much better than the original ones in the game since my sequences fit the fully animated game better.

Charlie the Misfit Toy Wrote:looks okay. Either way, it isn't the usual newbie jpeg stuff

My! That's very kind of you to say that, Charlie! I can imagine how the newbie submissions are like... Pointless re-colors, small edits, limitedly animated sprites, poor layouts, tons of empty space, and terrible picture quality caused by the jpeg format... You have a point, Charlie! It's better to have a "newbie" that has a very good knowledge about sprites and animation before he joins the site than a newbie who barley has a clue what he's doing and making poor sprite sheets.
Thanked by: