Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
My random rips. They've got to go somewhere, right?
Firstly some great rips, not often we get to see Amiga and especially Atari ST around here. Secondly great job on doing the Dizzy rips.

You shouldn't be upset about the Frankenstein and Blinky's Scare School rips though, it's the good type of construction criticism. It just means that the sprites colour and the background colour clash with each other making them very hard to use. Yes they do need re-ripping but it's only that one issue as the rest look good to me.

The rule for the background colour has been around a long time due to literally broken rips that were submitted during the early days of the site. It was a problem and still is a one to a smaller extent regarding Mega Drive ripping due to the game code having a black background while the sprites themselves have black, palette restrictions also mean that it's the same colour. The Blinky rip seems to be similar to this as the Atari ST has I think around 16 colours out of 512 to choose from (looking at it wonders why there wasn't a port back in the day...). You can always mention in a comment that the background was originally black if you're worried that it doesn't 100% reflect the data.

Think the only exceptions to that rule are:

1: The game is in monochrome where it only has two colours e.g. the likes of Spectrum games

2: The game is designed that way whether it is by design or palette restrictions. Usually it's the case of old arcade games where it was designed for the black backgrounds and try to change the background makes it look odd. It also be the case of the graphic artist or a botched conversion. An example that I can give is Psycho Pig UXB on the Amstrad, the sprites are broken even if you do try to change the palette and have mentioned it.
Thanked by: tantalus

Messages In This Thread
RE: My random rips. They've got to go somewhere, right? - by Yawackhary - 03-18-2023, 06:57 PM