Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Mega Man X is Ready to Rock! 100% Guide (w/Achievements) for the series!
And now we get to some of the really interesting stuff! The Weapon Weakness system, the X-Hunter mechanics, the Japanese-exclusive story elements, and much more!

[Image: MMX2.png]

Part 2: Mega Man X2 (100% Guide)—Wheel Gator & Overdrive Ostrich (All Trophies/Achievements)

THUMBNAIL ART FROM:
The Teppen series of trading cards.

WEAKNESS WEAPONS IN MORE DETAIL:
Most special weapons either do about as much as a LVL 2 Shot, or do a small amount of damage over time. However, they will do as much as 50 Damage in one shot, or 10 Damage a frame, to any enemy weak to them. Furthermore, regular enemies will have multiple weakness weapons, which can be divided into three camps:

1) The "elemental weapons" (Bubble Splash, Speed Burner, & Sonic Slicer)
2) The "industrial weapons" (Silk Shot, Spin Wheel, & Magnet Bomb)
3) The "utility weapons" (Strike Chain & Crystal Hunter)

Crystal Hunter will only freeze the enemies weak to it—it will only bounce off the rest. This also means that Strike Chain will OHKO any enemy that can be frozen.

ABOUT THE STRIKE CHAIN:
This "utility weapon" does 5 Damage at base, and 20 Damage to those weak to it. It also attaches to walls, and pulls X toward them a bit faster than Dash speed.

The charged version, at base, does 2 Damage for every frame that the hook is inside the enemy. This increases to 5 Damage per frame to those weak to it. It pulls X to walls faster than a Ride Chaser moves. It also forces every enemy it destroys (even bosses) to drop health or ammo, in *addition* to what they may, or may not, have already dropped.

ABOUT THE SPIN WHEEL:
This "industrial weapon" does 5 Damage every 10 frames at base, and 25 Damage every 10 frames to those weak to it. It also destroys blocks and rubble, allowing you to access hidden rooms.

The charged version does 10 Damage a bolt at base, and 50 Damage a bolt to those weak to it.

WHEEL GATOR'S STUN-LOCK IN MORE DETAIL (not enough time to cover in the video itself):
There's a brief moment at the beginning where you can strike Gator before he sinks. After that are 3 frames (frame=1/60th of a second) between when Gator is invincible via invincibility frames, and when he's invincible via diving in the water.

The first window you get by having a Charged Strike Chain ready to go, then Dashing at the right moment after his health fills up. I accomplish that by pressing Dash three times (just for the rhythm), and then making the 4th Dash the real thing.

The second window I get by walking up to where X's head is about where Gator's shoulder is, keeping the Strike Chain *held*, and then releasing it the instant Gator's head is fully turned. That burns ammo almost twice as quickly as what top-level speedrunners do (they just press Shoot), but I find it takes out any inconsistency in my timing.

ACHIEVEMENTS SO FAR:
1) "Size Matters Not"—Beat the opening stage without taking damage.

ENEMY LIST (Wheel Gator):
Tubamail-S: 4 HP (Weak to elemental weapons) [Drops health]
Tubamail Generator: 24 HP (Weak to elemental weapons) [Drops health]
Tiranos: 10 HP (Weak to utility weapons) [Drops ammo]
Disk Boy 08: 16 HP (Weak to utility weapons) [Drops ammo]
Rideroid G: 48 HP (Weak to industrial weapons) [Drops health]
Cannon Driver: 40 HP (Weak to industrial weapons) [Drops health]

ENEMY LIST (Overdrive Ostrich):
Crash Roaders (pigs): 7 HP (Weak to utility weapons) [Drops ammo]
Aclandas (scorpions): 48 HP (Weak to industrial weapons) [Drops health]
Ride Chasers (motorcyclists): 8 HP (Weak to elemental weapons) [Drops ammo]

BOSSES:
Wheel Gator stats:
HP: 32
Damage: 1 per hit (Bite), 2 (Spiked Walls), 2 (Mouth Blast), 2 (Spin Wheel), 3 (Charge), 3 (contact)
Invincibility Frames: ~0.97 seconds' worth

Wheel Gator A.I.:
1) Always sinks into the oil at the start, as well as every time he's struck with Strike Chain
2) Charges when he has less than 16 HP, every time he re-emerges

Overdrive Ostrich stats:
HP: 32
Damage: 2 (Sonic Slicer), 2 (Rain Slash), 4 (Crane Kick), 4 (Ground Pound), 4 (contact)
Invincibility Frames: ~0.97 seconds' worth

Overdrive Ostrich A.I.:
1) Uses Ground Pound when scrolled off-screen.
2) Rain Slash adjusts to your location before launched. You should stop till the Rain Slashes leave the screen, THEN go that little bit left or right to dodge them!
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mega Man X is Ready to Rock! 100% Guide (w/Achievements) for the series! - by Fionordequester - 04-07-2021, 09:20 PM