Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
Walkthrough the Fire & Flames, with Breath of Fire II (Retranslation)!
"Scalding Coffee" from Something Awful makes an interesting point:

Scalding Coffee Wrote:Breath of Fire III retcons it by implying it to be the result of

Anyway, Party Chat time!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PARTY CHAT (Before Mina's Scene):

[Image: 29-Bosch.PNG] Bosch: If Nina uses the power of the Great Bird, won't she be able to change back? ...I don't want her to be stuck as a bird! Ryu! Talk some sense into her!

[Image: 32-Rand.PNG] Rand: Nina's made up her mind. Even if Ma hadn't been taken by those Church of Eva bastard, we'd still have to get to the Cathedral somehow... Dammit! Doesn't she care how the rest of us feel?

[Image: 35-Katt.PNG] Lin: I'm sure Nina will become a beautiful bird...*sniff* *sniff*... Aw, hell! Why does she have to do this? I don't wanna lose our Nina!

[Image: 44-Sten.PNG] Sten: This shouldn't be happening.

[Image: 41-Tapeta.PNG] Tapeta: Nina had done nothing yet, and already I am...how you say...traumatized! Are these terrible circumstances not cause for much weeping?

[Image: 37-Deis.png] Deis (in the lobby): Looks like the little sprout's a real princess after all. Nina's sure got guts...

[Image: 38-Nina.PNG] Nina (in the lobby): I don't need your tears. Any one of you could make the same sacrifice... I'm certain of it.

[Image: 38-Nina.PNG] Nina (in her room): The thought of giving up this life to become a Great Bird doesn't faze me at all... But I have one favor I'd like to ask. Just say to me..."I want you to become the Great Bird". Please?...

[Image: 38-Nina.PNG] Nina (if you said Yes): ...So I shall.

[Image: 38-Nina.PNG] Nina (if you said No): I...understand. I'm sorry I asked you to say such a thing...

Quote:This is...actually a really interesting character moment, here.  I say that because...

[Image: 8-Spar.PNG] Aspara: I agree with Nina's reasoning. This is the most effective way for us to accomplish our goals...but why does it frighten me that she would sacrifice her life with so little hesitation?

Quote:...Nina's a death-seeker.  Her line is NOT bravado—she is genuinely unfazed by the thought of dying.  She won't out-and-out commit suicide, but... The prophecy's in her head.  Her family's in hot water for as long as she lives.  She has to live far away, just so no trouble befalls them.  In her mind?  Their lives would be so much easier, if only she could just...vanish.

Recall her willingness to be Joker's slave. Recall her joking about Ryu "putting her out of her misery" if she got fat. See how determined she is to become the Great Bird. The reason for her request to Ryu is to convince herself that it's what he wants... That he wouldn't be THAT badly torn up about her leaving.

And if that's not proof enough?
It's subtle enough for kids to miss, but... It's there.  It's why Aspara's shaken up on a subconscious level.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PARTY CHAT (After Mina's Scene):

[Image: 29-Bosch.PNG] Bosch: Mina...

Quote:I guess it's a good thing he never scored with her, eh?

[Image: 32-Rand.PNG] Rand: I never imagined Mina could do something so brave and selfless... I guess it must run in the family.

[Image: 35-Katt.PNG] Lin: I wish I could think of something to say to Nina...

[Image: 44-Sten.PNG] Sten: I don't even have any witty remarks or clever puns for this situation... We cannot permit any more innocents to be involved in our struggle...

[Image: 41-Tapeta.PNG] Tapeta: We must travel to Evrai, posthaste! This battle...it is no longer ours alone to fight!

[Image: 8-Spar.PNG] Aspara: Mina laid down her life out of love for her sister... Let's repay that debt by getting to Evrai and putting those book-thumping bastards out of commission!

Quote:His language *probably* isn't a translation error.  Vulgar language is pretty easy to spot, even for a newbie like me.

[Image: 37-Deis.png] Deis (in the lobby): I see the look in your eyes has changed, Nina. Calling you a 'sprout' now would be an insult...you've grown into a fine woman.

Quote:You'll recall that was something of a thing in Deis' first Party Chat. The game lampshaded how badly Deis obsoleted her, with Deis calling her a "sprout", and Nina feeling insecure about it.

[Image: 38-Nina.PNG] Nina: This is no time for mourning. Besides...Mina would be upset if she saw me crying...

Quote:Mina WOULD be upset... Because apparently, she's still sapient, and can speak English and everything...

...All the writers needed to do...ALL they needed to do, was have her be silent!  Keep the bird noises, keep the wing flaps, and just have no dialogue.  Nina says her line about not mourning her, and the scene proceeds.

Instead we get the Breath of Fire equivalent of "DUDE, MAH TRUCK!!".  Like the sort of thing a localizer would throw in to censor someone's death... Except it's actually in the original script...
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Walkthrough the Fire & Flames, with Breath of Fire II (Retranslation)! - by Fionordequester - 04-03-2021, 03:32 AM