Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
[Tutorial] Ripping Guide for Animal Crossing New Horizons
(04-28-2020, 02:36 AM)thezebradude1 Wrote: I think I have some, if not, most of the texture maps figured out... I looked into them for a bit.

- _Alb -> Diffuse/Base Color
  • RGB Channels - Diffuse
  • Alpha - Specular
- _AlbGry -> Gray-scaled Diffuse/Base Color
- _OP -> Alpha

- _Nrm -> Normal

- _Mix -> Mask
  • Red Channel -> Cavity
  • Green Channel -> Roughness
  • Blue Channel -> Ambient Occlusion
- _Mtl -> Metalness

- _Emi -> Emission

Some notes...
- I thought _Mix would be a bit of a stretch for specular. It looked like it was used for masking. (I used some Smash Ultimate textures as reference.)
  • Also, I assumed that the red channel was metalness, before I saw some dedicated _Mtl files.
    I realized then that cavity maps weren't in the normal's alpha, like Ultimate's, but instead said red channel.

• Yes, that does mean _AlbGry isn't metalness.
- _Nrm and _Mix typically have white alphas. I'm not too sure of what they do in this game...
- _Nrm zero their blue channels despite having data for them.
  • This is also the case for _Mix, but for their green channels (sometimes).
I just wanted to provide some sort of reference for said textures, and correct @Username123
Though I might be wrong as well... I just had a hunch for some of the texture maps he listed since I didn't look into some of them, yet.

(I was using Switch Toolbox to see about these textures, btw.)
Hey! I've been scratching my head trying to figure this out for a couple days now and I'm at a point where it feels like everything outside of the nrm and alb files are changing from object to object. For example, if you look at the IdrObjATM.Nin_NX_NVN.zs (the nook atm) the red and blue mix channels couldn't be the cavity and the ambient occlusion because they're both incredibly dark and would render the model nearly black. The alpha on the alb is also solid white which doesn't really seem like a specular map. In this particular model (and a number of others) the green channel seems to be the ambient occlusion (or cavity, they seem to serve identical purposes), the red channel appears to be the metal (as it's applied to the parts of the machine that you'd assume are metallic), and the blue channel would be what I'd assume is specular because of how the areas you'd expect to be reflective are represented. This was one of the first models I thought I had figured out but when I automatically tried to apply those settings to other models, they were completely wrong. And don't even get me started on how absolutely different the player character and its hair models use the textures because those are COMPLETELY different from any of the furniture going so far as to use the alb RGB for opacity on the skin sections of hair. This entire thing is bonkers. Maybe at best, different categories of objects use identical mapping but across a variety of things like buildings, furniture, walls/floors, and especially the player character and NPCs, it feels like they're all different =\
Thanked by: thezebradude1

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Tutorial] Ripping Guide for Animal Crossing New Horizons - by Fobwashed - 04-29-2020, 12:59 AM
How to fit the animation in NPC? - by chomil96 - 12-07-2021, 03:37 AM