Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
"Unofficial" Games?
To me, unofficial games are really three different things all lumped together; Fangames, Hacks, and Homebrews. Because of that, it makes it difficult to decide what the cutoff is for archival. In my opinion, the following should be taken into consideration;

1. Physical release. The NES in particular has several games that aren't official, but had cartridge releases, including Wally Bear, Bible Adventures, etc. There is also the Aladdin add-on that had its own series of physical games. While they're not officially endorsed by Nintendo, they are still included as part of the NES "canon" by several online sources. I think these have a place on TSR.

2. Notability. Some ROM hacks or Fan Games are notable to the internet at large. These include games like Kart Fighter, Somari, or the Earthbound Halloween Hack. I don't want to use the term "culturally significant," but I think they're well known and important enough to be archived.

What is "notable" is a sticking point. There is no hard definition for this and would probably have to be a game-by-game basis. If Vinesauce makes a game popular, does that automatically mean it needs to be on TSR? On the other hand, does a simple graphical hack of any old NES game deserve to be archived? That seems like a really low-effort way to get trash on the site.

There are also many foreign bootleg games that could be popular in other regions, but are basically unknown in US/PAL territories. This possibility also makes the physical release idea a bit more difficult since a LOT of bootlegs are given physical releases in China, but not necessarily in the west.

So yeah. I think it should mostly be a case-by-case basis, but notoriety counts for something, and simple graphical hacks like Rabbit King (NES), or Teletubbies (NES), or the Pony Hacks (SNES) probably don't need to be on TSR.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by: Petie, Hybrid-Dragon, Pik

Messages In This Thread
"Unofficial" Games? - by Petie - 08-13-2019, 12:16 PM
RE: "Unofficial" Games? - by Ton - 08-13-2019, 12:45 PM
RE: "Unofficial" Games? - by shadowman44 - 08-13-2019, 04:16 PM
RE: "Unofficial" Games? - by Simpsons Dumper - 08-13-2019, 04:58 PM
RE: "Unofficial" Games? - by Pingus! - 08-13-2019, 09:13 PM
RE: "Unofficial" Games? - by Videogamemasterx - 09-04-2019, 10:10 PM