Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Ripping from Magical Starsign [NDS]
(03-20-2019, 03:17 AM)Akaiji Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 12:35 AM)Lumialle Wrote: Oh, that's awesome! Thank you, I'll have to try Tile Molester and see what else I can find.
How would I use the hex editor/what would you recommend? I've never done hex editing before when it comes to ripping since I'm used to games you can just pop in and it works.

HxD is a free hex editor, and after you install it, you can just drag and drop the file or use the "Open with" option on Windows.

[Image: RHyGoPT.png]

You can read 4 bytes at a time, or if you want, you can go to View > Byte group size > 4 and it'll group the data into 4 bytes chunks. Also, the 4 bytes chunk is read from right to left, meaning 08 0A 00 00 will be 00 00 0A 08.

The first 4 bytes (00 02 00 00) you'll not use. The blue box is where the offset table starts, blue boxes are the image data offsets, and the black boxes are the palette data offsets.

A practical example with the first image:

On Tile Molester after opening the file, go to View > Codec > 4bpp linear, reverse-order. After that, you'll need to click on the | | | <- (Decrease Width) symbol until it becomes 4 X 16.

The first image data offset: 00 00 08 08
The first palette data offset: 00 00 0A 08

On Tile Molester, go to Navigate > Go To... or use the hotkey Ctrl + G and put the image data offset (00000808), Radix is Hex and Mode is Absolute. After that, go to Palette > Import From > This File...and put the palette data offset (00000A08), Size is 16, Format is 15bpp BGR (555), and Byte Order is Intel.

After that, you select the image and go to Edit > Copy To... and save the image.

Aah this makes so much sense now! Thank you! I was using HxD but had no idea how to read it.
Sometimes the images come out skewed in Tile Molester, how do I get them straight? It's a bit tricky so I was wondering if you knew how ''
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Ripping from Magical Starsign [NDS] - by Lumialle - 03-12-2019, 03:41 AM
RE: Ripping from Magical Starsign [NDS] - by Lumialle - 03-20-2019, 12:32 PM