Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
(3DS) A texture that displays on the model but can't be found in the texture list
OK, so I've poked around the decoded H3D stuff from SPICA using VisualStudio's debugger and I still have no idea where that texture could be. I've looked through all texture, material and model info and couldn't find anything interesting. But I can definitely disprove my awful assumption(because I don't know how shaders work) about it being embedded in a shader: this file has 0 shaders(if we believe SPICA that is). I don't feel like playing the guessing game anymore so I'm gonna try filing an issue on SPICA's GitHub page about this oddity.
Sometimes obvious really is obvious, isn't it? So I messed up the main texture(bmp_o_kpa_01_01) by manually loading it into Kukkii as a RAW file and selecting all correct settings except for texture encoding...and if texture encoding is set to L8(and some other, but L8 just has the clearest picture) we can see that the full image is present in that file!
[Image: 6d7VOXI.png]
Now why could that be? From what I've seen with other maps from this game it seems that some protruding objects(such as pillars) use cutouts of the main texture with additional transparency applied. In this case, it seems, the alpha channel is always present in the file and is simply ignored when that texture is applied to a specific mesh. If I export this texture to png and then use GIMP(PhotoShop doesn't work for this, I tried) to decompose the colour channels to RGB(just simply throwing out alpha) and then compose them back and we get a proper image! It takes some time to do this, but I'm sure I can make a quick mod to SPICA/Kukkii to have a checkbox to ignore the alpha channel on a specific texture. Btw, here's the properly decoded texture:
[Image: 6kFID8s.png]
Thanked by: Fawfulthegreat64

Messages In This Thread
RE: (3DS) A texture that displays on the model but can't be found in the texture list - by CHEMI6DER - 01-04-2019, 05:01 PM