Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ripping files from The Hobbit (2003)
(04-02-2021, 08:52 PM)jimmyJFK Wrote: Hello, I'm new here and I've made an account just to reply to this thread, even if it is very dead.

Hi, thanks for the reply! Sadly I don't have anything particulalry new to add.

From what I've found, the music files are in the audiopkg format, which contains metadata at the beginning and then the music itself. This format was also used in the game "Area 51" by the same studio.

The Hobbit on GameCube and the "Area 51" game, encode music in the MP3 format. Looking at the files with an Hex Editor you can see that all tracks start with the bytes FF FB, which is the MP3 file signature. MP3val strips out the metadata at the beginning, making the audiopkg a standard mp3.

However the music data inside the audiopkg files from the PC and PlayStation 2 are definetely not MP3. They are probably related to the ADPCM/VOX format, because if you import them as Raw Data in Audacity using this format, you get something that resembles the game audio (although extremely distorted).

The only pattern that I could find looking at the music files with an Hex Editor, was that the Playstation 2 files have all bytes on column 01 set at value 02. However this pattern is absent on the PC files.

By the way, did you get a reply from Marc Schaefgen?
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ripping files from The Hobbit (2003) - by SOLLAZZATORE - 04-22-2021, 04:16 AM