Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Bridging the Gap - The cultural exchange thread
(05-22-2017, 08:50 AM)Kosheh Wrote: The problem with that though, is that when trying to come up with "exclusively American" foods to share in this topic, it's...hard. Because we borrow from so many other cultures lol
With that said, we've got our own cultures that we don't even understand, such as what Tony pointed out:

I'm going to Portland, Maine for my honeymoon though and apparently they call subs up there "Italians" which
?? Big Grin ?? Why. Why do you have to just make this more complicated Maine. Why.

I'd say cornbread though is a pretty American food through-and-through, with its origins deep in Native American history. It's also really incredible but there is just not enough of it in New York and this is an absolute travesty

Actually, I can think of a few other ACTUAL American foods/snacks that are more expressly from us and not from our culture fusion (though I love it, personally XD). Iced Tea is something that we came up with in the 1860-70s. You can probably look up the details of its origins online, but I'm pretty sure we had the one of the first recipes. Gumbo is another dish that originated here in the US (it was in Louisiana, I believe). I've never had it myself, but my friend from the South eats it quite a lot. I'll post a picture of it below:
[Image: Mmm..._gumbo_%287858028252%29_%282%29.jpg]

Basically, it's a stew that has veggies like green peppers, onions, celery, and okra as well as very strong meat/sea foods (shrimp, sausage, chicken, etc.) served with or over rice. Either way, it sounds mighty tasty to me! 

I'm not sure why they call them "Italians", but my guess is that it may originate from "Italian-American" foods like subs, etc. The whole Brooklyn thing. (I used to be a Brooklyner myself and I am Italian-Puerto Rican-American with hints of Polish and Indian in me, lol).

And there's not enough cornbread you say? I must throw some at your through time and space so you may enjoy this wonderful meal more!

(05-22-2017, 08:57 AM)Gors Wrote: We call those sandwiches "sanduíche".

We are very straight forward when coming to names.

Oh wow, really? That's actually really cool! Yeah, alas due to our mixture of languages and cultures, we have many names to call even the simplest of commodities. But, that's okay! As long as we understand each other, I think we can do this. XD

(05-22-2017, 10:07 AM)kendotlibero Wrote: we actually don't have the concept of "sandwich" here, as you inted them,

we have those things called "panino", that are used in a similar fashion, and they look like that
[Image: pane-tipo-rosette-or.jpeg]
as for the pies I have a fun fact, while we use "torta" or "crostata" for them, older people use in my dialect "pizza" to refer to baked foods, salty or not like cakes, pies and the actual pizza.

I've eaten paninos before! They're SO good! And that's very interesting to know. Pies here can either refer to the sweet "American pies" most people see or the actual pizza "pie" and it's easy to differentiate from with context. Savory and sweet, lol. XD
[Image: Xc8IWx2.png]
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bridging the Gap - The cultural exchange thread - by TonyAyers - 05-22-2017, 06:08 PM