Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Bridging the Gap - The cultural exchange thread
So very late to the party here, and sadly quoting on an iPod and editing a quote down is pretty much impossible so... yeah I'm just going to reference old posts without quoting...

The whole wine to children thing. Here in the U.K. it's legal to have a glass of wine or half a pint (I think? Might even be a pint but I doubt it...) of cider or perry with a meal at a restaurant/pub regardless of age (might actually be 12 or something... seriously no one knows these laws) if accompanied by an adult.

Regardless of legal side of things - ever since I can remember I've had a glass of perry (Lambrini to be exact) with the family Sunday lunch when I was younger and it isn't uncommon at all.

Now onto the Jewish thing. The most 'historical' after death scenario is that you literally lie in the ground (dead) and rise again when the son of god arrives. I believe this was meant to happen after a thousand years - but obviously, he's running a bit late so a less literal approach has been taken.

It's also important to remember that when it comes to the Jewish messiah - miracles and that kind of stuff aren't really important, in fact some would even see such a thing as proof the person isn't the messiah.

The Jewish messiah is someone who knows Jewish 'law' so well (it's a monster of a thing to fully know) he/she will end all suffering as the teachings of God will be known fully to all.

There was actually a man born in recent-ish times who some believed was the son of god as his knowledge of Judaism was outstanding. This was later disproven when he died.

Like all religions, they were created back when the world was a smaller place, so the writing obviously made a lot more sense back then. Now, for one man/woman to end all suffering through the knowledge of religious teachings it's a hard pill to swallow so it's better to follow what the writing meant, rather than what it said. This does of course mean that it is very unlikely the Jewish faith will ever agree if someone is the messiah.

Judaism is so massively complicated that it often leads to disagreements.

Pot pies (puff pastry pies, lid pies etc) are a common pub food here in the U.K.

The North tends to favour them other the shortcrust pastry variety.

Pie and chips and a few pints is a pretty standard lunch out.

Fun trivia: Yorkshire Caviar is just mushy pies - often advertised as such as a joke aimed at tourists.

Also microwaving pastry is just a terrible idea, like yes you can - but you get crappy flat pastry instead of awesome flaky pastry. I remember when a friend of mine told me her microwaves tea instead of using a kettle it hurt my brain.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bridging the Gap - The cultural exchange thread - by Goemar - 05-16-2017, 06:04 PM