Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Why are tile rips rarer than character sprites?
I think the fact is simply because characters are more interesting to most people. Not just to view, but also to rip. Characters are (usually) the thing you focus on in a game, and the most active aspect. They are also what many people want references for, since characters are (to my knowledge) quite difficult to sprite well, especially in terms of animation.

In some cases they are just easier to rip. This obviously depends on the game, but many games with structures (like PC games) organise their character sprites better than tiles and such.

Another factor is also that characters sprites are more abundant. Games can have a large variety of characters, but tiles are copied to create the world. Often a single sheet can contain all the unique tiles, while each character needs their own sheet for all their animations.

That's what I think, at least. It is an interesting topic though and I'm curious to know what others think.

(Moving this to Site Discussion by the way, I feel like it fits there best.)
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Ton

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are tile rips rarer than character sprites? - by puggsoy - 02-17-2017, 09:28 AM