Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
Will Overwatch ever get new male heroes?
Quote:Nobody complained back then because it didn't matter. All that mattered was that it was a fun game. I bet if the cast of Overwatch was in an oldschool arcade game no one would have anything to say about them other than they were cool and fun to play as. Now we have people like Neon Streak complaining that there are too many women? C'mon. None of this matters.

Yes, it does not matter at all. The player is just an avatar for your actions to be translated into gameplay. In the very end, it all boils down to gameplay.

But you can do better than that. You should know, you play games.

Characters can have depth, they can have something going on, they can have personality.

And a defining trait of personality is, indeed, where they are from, how they present as, and yes, this also includes gender.

This being said, you probably could make a fun game as Overwatch, gameplay wise, if you removed all models and replaced them with stickmen figures. But then people would not get attached to the characters - they would not sympathize with them at all.

You see, it's actually fulfilling to me when they make brazilian people not be like, fucking Green Skinned People With Orange Hair That Has Electric Attacks in games, and while I am not of brazilian ethnicity, it's the culture I most relate with, and this is great. I mean. What are you going to lose by actually adding human-like characters in game? Are you afraid to make characters somehow?

By putting some thought on your characters, your game is now a relatable experience, not just random variables shuffling ones and zeroes around.

So you might not even care and that's fine. But to say it's pointless or useless, then you really don't understand modern gaming at all.

(01-31-2017, 08:08 AM)cloud6625 Wrote: You also can't forget that it's all about the creator's artistic vision. It's their work so what characters they want are what characters will be made. Things don't need to be 100% perfectly balanced every time.

This is also true but the vision of Overwatch in particular is to be as inclusive as possible. Think about it - it's basically a worldwide war but in FPS form. There are characters from every country so of course you're aiming for diversity here

Shantae is ok and Final Fantasy is ok because they have a reason why things are like this - it's a plot device and it works better this way.

But Overwatch's main appeal is to be inclusive to all kinds of people - that's to say, increasing their potential player base. It makes sense this way and the variety makes for a virtual world that is more like, you know

the real world

immersion is everything and i personally believe that representativity is a way to achieve that.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: miyabi95_

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will Overwatch ever get new male heroes? - by Gors - 01-31-2017, 08:53 AM