Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Good Game Design
I don't think CTF is staying from what I've heard...

Honestly, I think games are well - getting better. Like, there's a lot less stinkers out there and the bad ones are normally pretty obviously bad.

I think a good game rest simply on risk/reward. As long as the reward is worth doing whatever it is - the game will be good. Be this simply feeling smart for figuring out a puzzle, getting an awesome weapon for killing a boss 10 times or so, simply getting a badge saying "Your Awesome" next to your name or something or seeing the next part of the story.

As long as the game is good enough to make the reward attractive then it'll do just fine.

The Last of Us is a fine game. But I played because I wanted to know what happened.

Monster Hunter makes me do the same thing over and over again, but being able to make a better weapon (which allows me to do the same thing over and over again but faster) makes it worth it.

Portal made you feel super smart when you figured out how to progress.

Ninja Gaiden (old and new) made you feel like a badass for not dying.

Like, Super Meat Boy - good game, I guess, but I just didn't really care enough to play it more than twice.

NSMB 1 to CRTL+C CTRL+V are well 'designed' but I'd seen it all before. My 'reward' was simply more Mario, so yeah, I enjoyed playing them but never felt a need to play them.

As long as a game is good enough to make you feel good about playing it, then it works.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by: psychospacecow

Messages In This Thread
Good Game Design - by ~Axis~ - 01-24-2017, 04:57 PM
RE: Good Game Design - by miyabi95_ - 01-24-2017, 10:28 PM
RE: Good Game Design - by Cloud6625 - 01-26-2017, 09:37 AM
RE: Good Game Design - by Goemar - 01-26-2017, 08:12 PM
RE: Good Game Design - by miyabi95_ - 01-28-2017, 03:50 PM
RE: Good Game Design - by Goemar - 01-28-2017, 06:08 PM