Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sorcia - A host of new screens in latest post!
Hi everyone.

Since I decided to cancel Super Smash Bros. Feud for copyright law reasons, I figured I'd give my own main indie game its own thread.

I have others planned as well, however this is the "head honcho" of all the indie games I'm planning. I want this game to be to me what Shantae is to WayForward, for example.

I want to introduce you to SORCIA. Powered by Unity 5.

Media:

Logo:
[attachment=6893]

Very early beta screenshots:

Warning used to tell players that a XInput controller is needed.
[Image: Hnkow6e.png]

Unfinished title screen with main title menu: still needs trees (not yet modelled or textured):
[attachment=6895]

Quit confirmation dialog:
[attachment=6896]

New Game file selection:
[attachment=6897]

Walking within test map:
[Image: AjGK27O.png]

First image of WIP main game menu:
[Image: zYgaHfG.png]

Overview:

Sorcia is my first commercial, serious project. I'm cracking my knuckles and getting down and dirty, experimenting with new stuff and trying to make this not just good, but excellent. In this game, quality comes absolute first. I have lots of ideas for features and the like, but for now I'm focusing on basic playability using my sandbox map, and frills, bells and whistles, and presentation will come later. It is being made in 3D mode in Unity Personal. Once I've gotten a bit of money aside and am able to afford it, I may buy a Pro license. Unless I by some miracle reach the 100K a year cap, which I'm by no means expecting, in which case I'll have no choice.

I'm doing the entire game myself: I'm scoring the soundtrack, writing the source code, coming up with foley and sound effects, animations, 3D and 2D/UI art, etc. You name it. I may sound absolutely insane, but I insist. I want to get comfortable with all aspects. It's going to be long, and a lot of work, but I currently don't have the budget to hire people. And my goal is to be a solo indie "team". All I do need, however, is a voice actress for my protagonist and main villain.

There were only two aspects I borrowed code for, after asking and getting permission: code to handle button input (XInputDotNetPure.dll), and one for creating seamless music loops. I have some basic gameplay roughly scripted (I'm constantly tweaking it to try and improve it) such as movement and camera control, some menu functionality, one song and another nearly complete WIP, and a few sound effects.

Sorcia will be a 3D action/adventure game with elements of platforming and exploration. I'm aiming to make the controls as fluent and responsive as humanly possible. This is why I chose XInput instead of keyboard. It allows more flexible stuff.

Items, unlike Zelda games for example, will be optional and more of a sort of side-quest for unlocking bonuses and the like. There will be weapons, but it's more like using the environment to defend yourself: sticks/stones, etc. Only a few items, like maybe a handful, may be needed to progress. But Sorcia will by no means be an item-heavy game. Nothing is final as of now. All I'm doing currently is art and programming. Story and the main final game world are not yet created nor final.

Progress on this will be on and off. I also want to sing pro as well, so I switch between the two at a whim.

Prerequisites:
One XInput-compatible controller (ie Xbox 360 controller for Windows or Logitech F710/F310 gamepad, etc)

Follow this game on social media.

Only a Twitter for now, Facebook and official site are WIP and currently only viewable to me.

Twitter: @Sorcia_Indie

I'm open to any ideas and improvements anyone has. Wink I will update this when more updates are available!

I hope you like what you see! Smile
I'm an opera-crossover singer undergoing classical voice training and I'm also making Super Smash Bros. Feud.

Discord: kold_virus
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Sorcia - A host of new screens in latest post! - by Kold-Virus - 08-25-2016, 01:34 PM