Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Legend Of Mana: Assembled Bosses/Monsters Sprites
After discovered everything is hidden within assembly code on DS vania, I try hacking SOTN Saturn instead.

... and SOTN Saturn files are compressed. The worst part is Saturn emulation is completely new to me. I have no idea how to find stuff.

So I end up trying another Saturn game - Princess Crown. The game files are not compressed or encrypted, so that's a good start.

To my surprise, Saturn (or at least this game) doesn't use an x,y drawing point, but 4 x,y pair coordinates to form a rectangle (quad rendering). Depending the x,y ordering, the result will be different:

NOTE : 1243 is the default sprite
[Image: mqadXsN.png]

So, instead of a bitflag for vertical/horizontal flipping, and a byte for rotation value, everything needs to be auto-detect from these 4 pair of x,y coordinates.

The worst part is the palettes. All palettes are located on 0.bin , and there are no data on *.pak (sprite data) to link it back. The only suspect it *.prg (program code), so it is DS vania all over again!

Oh crap!

This makes me appreciate Square games a bit more. All their files are self contained. Even enemies with palette swap has their palettes located on the same file. They are not hardcoded or put all over the place.

Going to try another game. Bye.
- Rufas
Thanked by: Ton, Barack Obama

Messages In This Thread
RE: Legend Of Mana: Assembled Bosses/Monsters Sprites - by rufaswan - 08-08-2020, 06:30 PM