Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ghostbusters 2016 (And its Controversy)
(07-30-2016, 07:01 PM)Dolphman Wrote: With Ghostbusters right now. It has, unsurprisingly, underperformed at the box office. Doesn't help with what else is out at the same time.
Another reason for it was the fact the cast and crew insulted their audience in everything they were on, alienating them even more.
They also ignored the fact there ARE women who are fans of the franchise and hated it just as much. Such as Comicbookgirl19.
Like James Rolfe, she had the same opinion about it, but she wasn't attacked like him either. All because she wasn't a man.

-sniping most of this just because there's alot of other stuff in this post that I already knew about or bears no relevance to the point that I'd wish to make.-

Want to know what doesn't surprise me about the fact that Comicbookgirl19 not getting the brunt of the sexist bullshit that most people and the cast and crew even insulted the majority target audience in all this?

It's the fact that they were doing it to completely appeal to the social justice warriors and radical feminists if anything.

Part of my problem with this isn't the fact that they're doing this to get word of mouth advertising but what bothers me about this given the political climate today and how most people seem to have these views it's almost like anyone who doesn't like this film is villlianized as a result of it and I don't think that's right just because there's no sense of professionalism in that. Which Sony doesn't seem to give much as two fucks about but it pretty much shows how downhill things have gotten lately.

Hell if it's not the fact that the movie is abandoning the fundamentals of what made ghostbusters ghostbusters in how those characters came to be and only reducing them to cameos and such, then it's the fact that this movie leans more towards politics than anything else and in a franchise like ghostbusters it's only going to become more or less offensive to anyone who likes the movie without all that horseshit involved if the aim isn't to be a political comedy like say, The Interview.

(07-30-2016, 10:03 PM)Kosheh Wrote:
(07-30-2016, 08:31 AM)Goemar Wrote:
(07-21-2016, 08:30 AM)Kosheh Wrote: the true downer about Ghostbusters is that it's like Garfield or the Ninja Turtles: it's like this accidental classic of the 80's that the big companies bought and pretty much just milked the shit out of its licensing afterwards.

i mean where's my ferris bueller's day off pachinko game????

The Turtles most people know and love was the milk, the original comics were a success but the 'classic of the 80s' was a 5 part TV show made to sell action figures. When people say "I liked the original Turtles" they are normally talking about the cartoon.

Not to mention that the old cartoons are awesome (upto a point) 3/4 of the 'old' films were good, the fox kids (was it fox kids?) cartoon was good (again upto a point) the Nicktoons one is good and the new comic series is good. Sometimes, man, milk away. Sure we got space hockey Rapheal and the new films but it's a small price to pay for continued existence of a still promising franchise.

d-did you just explain the Turtles franchise to someone who already knew the Turtles franchise? lol I know the comic book was an underground indie hit that CBS said "we can turn your hundreds into BILLIONS" - and when people talk about the original Turtles - yes, it's the '87 cartoon (which you guys got rebranded as "Hero Turtles"), but in actuality that was probably the weakest in the series; since they managed to squeeze out 188 more episodes to push the sales of Playmates action figures. Remember, that's the era of the Turtles that spawned the Pizza Hut "Coming Out of Our Shells" tour collaboration Blank
(also, I'm kinda holding 2016 standards to a show from 1987. What made the Turtles then was how fitting it was of the period - sorta like Ghostbusters, actually)

The '87 series actually got pretty terrible at like the start of season 2 - the show had little direction with one-off plots and some of them were downright absurd (though to be fair, part of it was probably done as to not alienate kids [or concerned parents] of the 90's) I've actually heard from other Turtle nerds that their favorite series was the Fox Kids one due to how close it was to the Mirage comics.
The new show and comic though is pretty dang good. I guess that franchise milking was worth it if it led to them to getting some of the best names in the industry to work on the series. x)

Okay being someone that's relatively close to where the turtles was invented can I just say that I have a soft spot for 2003 turtles more so than the new turtles?

Maybe it's because they kept shit relatively close to the comics in terms of tone but I also kind of appreciated the fact that sometimes there were some pretty dark plots in that.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Ghostbusters 2016 (And its Controversy) - by Koh - 05-21-2016, 05:17 PM
RE: Ghostbusters 2016 (And its Controversy) - by DioShiba - 08-01-2016, 01:19 PM