Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Television Show/Cartoon/etc. Thread
Alright, seeing as the Scooby-Doo reboots were brought-up, I suppose I shall try to share some of my thoughts on this whole situation overall. I shall choose to overlook the quality of animation, and instead focus on the IMPORTANT elements, like story and character development.

Now, the scooby-doo re-boots, and even the live action movies, still are mostly, if not entirely, in-tune with how the original series was set-up. They generally do not deviate from who the original characters were, or what their whole purpose in life was about. The side characters, the bulk of which are one-offs still generally all have a purpose and a unique personality, etc... The whimsical nature of the original show is also still quite present. Overall, the show, and the movies, are still quite enjoyable.

And then there's Teen Titans Go.
In the original series, Robin was a strong team leader, and everything he did, even if questionable, he did for a damn good reason. In Go, he's completely insecure, weak, clumsy, narcissistic, etc... Beast Boy and Cyborg were considerably more mature and useful in the original series, and in Go, they're usually just total slobs and a bad example for the entire team. Starfire and Raven are the only two of the main cast that are even slightly what the originals were, and they're still far from exact. Also, let's consider in the road trip episode how the entire team treated The Hive... totally uncalled for, and in the original series, this probably would not have happened. Finally, the main storyline and the villians in general. The original series had Slade, then Trigon, and lastly, The Brain and his Brotherhood of Evil. Each one of these main villains was the real deal. Slade was a skilled manipulator, useful both in aqcuring and brainwashing henchmen, but being the bane of the Titan's existence, most especially Robin. He also was a master of escape, and had a strong element of mystery about who or what he really was. Trigon was just a bad dude, he didn't give a shit what Raven wanted. All he wanted was domination. Exactly what to expect from an Intergalactic demon that enslaves worlds for a living. The Brain was a skilled mastermind, and a very real threat to virtually everyone. Each one of his main henchmen also possessed some unique ability that made them powerful villains in their own right. All of the other villians, for example, Mad Mod, Brother Blood, and Mother Mae Eye also were serious business. In go, many of the villians are either pushovers, equally or more clumsy than the Teen Titans, themselves, not very menacing, or even, just don't exist. They're completely off-character other than maybe their powers. There's also layers of complexity missing from some. For example, Terra. In the original series, she was troubled, an outcast, and an ideal candidate for being brainwashed, a fact Slade exploited quite well. Yet, in the end, she proved she is truly a hero, and probably one of the best friends anyone could ever hope for, she sacrificed herself to save everyone, and stop Slade. In Go, she doesn't actually care for anyone but herself, and probably is motivated purely by money. Teen Titans Go is kind of like someone took a beautiful quilt, ripped it apart, removed several of its squares, then ran the rest through a shredder, and stitched these back together in the sloppiest manner possible. Nearly all of the elements that made the original show great, that held its plot together,have been stripped-out, or dumbed-down in Teen Titans Go. All that's really left is some slice of life sitcom, and whatever action is left is either boring or hilariously stupid. It might be funny, but the original show was still infinitely better. To add insult to injury, the animation and art style is also quite degraded from the original, but I would be willing to forgive that if the storyline was actually more in-line with what the original had to offer.

Scooby-doo retains most of the elements that made the original so great, and even improves upon it sometimes. I recently ended-up catching Scooby Doo Wrestlemania on Cartoon Network (about a month or so ago???). I actually enjoyed it, I wanted to see the end, I wanted to know who was the monster, and WHY they wanted to scare people away. Now, I will say nothing about the newest scooby doo series, as I've not watched it yet... but, Scooby doo, unlike the bulk of these other reboots and spin-offs, somehow retains the focus of the original show.

Now, I ended-up typing more than I had planned to... lol
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Television Show/Cartoon/etc. Thread - by DarkGrievous7145 - 05-16-2016, 01:34 AM
RE: Television Show/Cartoon/etc. Thread - by Koh - 05-16-2016, 12:31 PM
RE: Television Show/Cartoon/etc. Thread - by Koh - 05-16-2016, 03:58 PM
RE: Television Show/Cartoon/etc. Thread - by Koh - 05-26-2016, 07:12 PM
RE: Television Show/Cartoon/etc. Thread - by Koh - 05-30-2016, 07:09 PM
RE: Television Show/Cartoon/etc. Thread - by Koh - 05-30-2016, 09:47 PM
RE: Television Show/Cartoon/etc. Thread - by Gors - 07-22-2016, 07:46 AM
RE: Television Show/Cartoon/etc. Thread - by Virt - 01-08-2017, 12:23 PM
RE: Television Show/Cartoon/etc. Thread - by Gors - 05-22-2017, 09:00 AM
RE: Television Show/Cartoon/etc. Thread - by Ton - 11-06-2018, 10:02 AM
RE: Television Show/Cartoon/etc. Thread - by Ton - 01-17-2019, 09:24 AM