Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sprite Limitations for SNES and GBA
So SomeGuyNamedDavid and I found a quick way to convert the colors of your images and sprite sheets that you're working on to 15-bit color values.

Just use the Posterize filter set to 32 levels (when you run the Posterize filter, it'll ask for a number and the number you want to put in is 32).

In GIMP, you'll need to use the Posterize filter on each and every layer that contains your sprites (don't use it on your sprite sheet's background layer, though).

In Photoshop, I believe it is even faster, as you can have a Posterize Adjustment Layer at the top of the layer stack that makes all layers below it appear as 15-bit colors--just make sure that the background layer doesn't get converted too. You can put all of the layers containing sprites (that you want converted) into a single Layer Group and then put the Posterize Adjustment Layer inside the Layer Group at the top of the Layer Group's layer stack. Then you want to change the Layer Group's "Blending Mode" from "Pass Through" to "Normal".

I'm not sure how you would do it quickly in other image-editing programs, though. However, GIMP is free (if you get GIMP, make sure you're downloading it from gimp.org so as to, well, reduce the chances of being scammed as well as to reduce the risk of getting a virus or some other form of malware), so there's that if you find you can't do it in your image-editing program of choice.

Unfortunately, while the Posterize filter makes it easy to convert the colors, just because you run the Posterize filter on your sprites doesn't mean that the sprites will necessarily work on a SNES. There's still the other limitations you'd have to work with (the other limitations are mentioned and explained in previous posts in this thread).

Hope this helps!
Avatar made by UnknownBearProd on deviantART, as commissioned by me.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sprite Limitations for SNES and GBA - by Koh - 04-05-2016, 02:29 PM
RE: Sprite Limitations for SNES and GBA - by Pik - 04-21-2021, 10:55 PM
RE: Sprite Limitations for SNES and GBA - by Midday-Mew - 07-29-2017, 10:02 AM