Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Copyright/Piracy
(03-27-2016, 01:30 PM)Kriven Wrote: TBH, I think Let's Play monetization should see a 50/50 split between the YouTuber and the developers. There's an obvious demand for that kind of video, and creating a good one can be pretty involved... So both parties should be paid their dues. Particularly when so much of a LPer's money is going to cycle right back into the industry via acquiring new content to LP.

This format has been around since at least MST3K, granted that program made use of PD material.

I think that in general there should be legitimate avenues for monetizing fanwork, whether it's fiction, art, merchandise, LPs, whatever. A portion of that money being driven back to the proper rights holders might make up for some of the dwindling profits in recent years, meanwhile it provides fans with a legitimate avenue to generate enough income that they can actually afford to purchse SMW five different ways. It creates a healthier economy in general.

This is itself cannot truly happen because youtube takes a majority of the ad revenue. Although it adds-up, a 50/50 split of what the youtuber actually makes is practically nothing, compared to the chunk of cash YT/Google pulls-in. Your logic as to why it should work-out this way actually makes a lot of sense. I'm a little iffy about the idea your job can be to buy and play games, however...just in general. I suppose because I was taught to make an honest living, and playing games just to play games or review them is basically just turning what's intended to be a hobby into a career.

No comment, not heard of this

And it would theoretically put some of these fan projects in the clear. It's a win-win situation. Sadly, these companies still use the outdated business models that don't support/suggest it. And that's another reason people pirate stuff, they're pissed at the studios. I once read thing that if the industry were to change their business model, most pirates, but not all of them would pay. In fact, remember what I said about the youtube thingy? Here's what really bothers me, regardless of if I have the funds or not: The people who do the actual work, while they still get paid a lot, only get a small fraction of the revenue generated from the legitimate copies of the game/song/movie/tv show/etc... I recall reading a comment on a website that showed the sorry state of affairs for how the music industry actually works. I'd rather directly pay the people who did something, not the suits, the agents, etc... The artist is worth considerably more than they are.

Now, monetization, in general, I'm iffy about. Some of the ways it is used these days are in my book, unacceptable. Firstly, modding is a community-oriented thing. Mods are to be shared, perhaps even with their source code, so others may learn from, or adapt it. And copyright disputes should not even come into the question, aside from the fact mods do tend to have content from other IP's going into them. Anyways, mods should be free, and they should be free to clone or modify. IIRC, that's the whole idea behind modding, customizing the game, and even customizing the customization to the game, and to share freely the knowledge to do so. If you're going to offer the content to the public for free, don't hide it behind monetization systems and insist that's the only way, tell people "no modpacks" , etc... This is exactly what Minecraft's modding community is like. Most mods are monetized, and closed-source, and the best part is: some mod creators are their followers will either annoy anyone who "steals" this mod to no end about "copyright" , or even file actual copyright claims/strikes on these allegedly infringing mods/packs/downloads and their authors or distributors. Maybe it's just me, but when I do mods, I want people to learn from my code, or at least to have free access to the results of that. A donation would be nice, or some other support, but I'm not going to DEMAND they use adf.ly , or not to share the files, or not to link directly to them. All I really expect is to credit me for my code or assets. The MC Modding community to me feels more like EA or Blizzard, than a community. The mods are free, but the developers clearly are in it more for the money and the fame than anything, hence hiding behind adf'ly and proprietary code, and occasionally... copyright strikes. Modding wasn't intended to be a commercial industry in any sense of the word.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Copyright/Piracy - by DarkGrievous7145 - 03-03-2016, 12:58 PM
RE: Copyright/Piracy - by DarkGrievous7145 - 03-26-2016, 11:46 PM
RE: Copyright/Piracy - by daemoth - 03-27-2016, 08:38 AM
RE: Copyright/Piracy - by BullockDS - 03-27-2016, 10:14 AM
RE: Copyright/Piracy - by DarkGrievous7145 - 03-27-2016, 11:18 AM
RE: Copyright/Piracy - by Kriven - 03-27-2016, 12:05 PM
RE: Copyright/Piracy - by BullockDS - 03-27-2016, 12:27 PM
RE: Copyright/Piracy - by Kriven - 03-27-2016, 01:30 PM
RE: Copyright/Piracy - by psychospacecow - 03-27-2016, 01:53 PM
RE: Copyright/Piracy - by DarkGrievous7145 - 03-27-2016, 01:45 PM