Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
Tropical Freeze Textures: the TXTR format. RTB and Parax pretty much figured it out.
awesome! Tried it out myself, works great! Some of them definitely aren't coming out right (can't even view some of them) but most of them look fine, so this is a really really good start!

That's interesting about the animated textures. I think I just noticed the value's relation to the data and assumed it was for depth textures, since obviously I wasn't able to decode the textures to see what was actually different. Retro's older games all did animated textures by sticking multiple frames within the same texture and then using a stepped UV animation to scroll between them... this definitely looks like a better way to do it. Wonder if one of the other values controls the speed of the animation, or maybe that's just entirely handled in the shader?

edit: Tried it on Mangrove Cove and Lord Fredrik, both worked fine. I think the "animation frames" value is actually just a way of storing multiple images in one texture and animations is just one particular way it's used - I'm seeing it being used on other textures where it clearly isn't meant to be an animation (it seems like most levels have a really big texture - probably a light/shadowmap? - that contains a bunch of sub-images). So it's not specific to animations.

Random highlights: I found the texture for DK's 3DS

[Image: CW_GOy2UsAAr8AC.png:large]

and there's also an extremely low-res version of the Japanese DKCR title screen in the files for Mangrove Cove for some reason

[Image: CW_HvmKUEAA9uXy.png:large]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tropical Freeze Textures: the TXTR format. Might ALMOST be cracked! - by Parax - 12-24-2015, 05:54 AM