Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Zelda II Remake/Revamp Pre-Alpha 008
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0...sp=sharing
Build 007

Based on recommendations of some friends, I have replaced the health meter with traditional hearts. This was quite a bit of work as well as changing the magic meter to be symmetric to the hearts.

-all levels set to 1
-added enemy parent object
-added a simple Gel type monster: it cannot hurt you, but it can be hurt and destroyed, thus giving the player some EXP
-no game over added, but you can test the Heart engine by pressing the - key on the numeric pad. It will subtract your health by 1
In the first alpha release, you will not be able to go below 0 health, thus preventing any issues and triggering a game over.

Next release:
-Full Level up Engine
More work than you would think will be going into this as I have a really awesome idea to encourage the player to level up. The leveling system will also be much more streamlined than the original Zelda II. Whenever a player levels up in the next release, they can immediately choose Attack, Magic, or Defense. Depending on the choice, the next required amount of EXP for a level-up will be modified with attack increasing the new needed EXP by the most and Magic increasing by the least.

I chose this approach to make the entire level-up process more direct than Zelda II where you could skip a level up to grab a different attribute. The change is that instead of static EXP amounts to gain an increase the in specified state, you will have to balance how you level up as EXP requirements can drastically increase if you choose to stack Attack levels before any other level.

The other reason for this was a new approach to balance the entire game. Zelda II was balanced not only by the rpg system, but also by player knowledge and skill in platforming and combat. As I transition Zelda II into a more traditional over-head control scheme, much of the skill required by the player will be reduced since insta-deaths will no longer be in the game and platforming will no longer be in the game. I decided to revamp the RPG system as a means of balancing the difficulty.

I think players will enjoy it in the end.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zelda II Remake/Revamp Pre-Alpha 005 - by Theforeshadower - 10-08-2015, 09:12 PM