Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
BLOODSTAINED - Koji Igarashi's Newest Project Unveiled
By that logic, nothing should be comparable to chess except chess itself, because only chess can be exactly like chess in every way. Same goes for Contra, which Koh keeps calling back to as an example of a good game (which it is). You can't make a game LIKE Contra then because only Contra is Contra.

My comparison to chess isn't the game itself, but rather how pieces move. Pieces move in very meticulous ways, and they can't move outside those affixed patterns. Picture Simon Belmont being something akin to a Knight. Not the most powerful unit, bound by awkward movement patterns, but certainly more viable than a Pawn, which is something akin to the Zombies or Spear Knights. Medusas, as I said, could be considered comparable to a Bishop, moving in long-reaching diagonal patterns that can make your life miserable, but have only those certain patterns. A decent example of the Rook could be the Axe Knight, a powerful foe, but whose strengths like in only one dimension at a time (in this case always the horizontal dimension, as they only attack forward and back). The closest thing I could find to something comparable to the Queen would be the Flea Men, who have freedom of movement surpassing most basic enemies and of course the player, but if they act foolishly they can be easily taken down like any enemy.

Lastly, the level playing field does exist in a game. Any competitive game where two players or two computer controlled opponents can use the same character or patterns in an equal play field is a perfectly equal game, and probably more comparable to chess in regard to an equal setup. These games are most limited to fighting games, or Pong. In fact, a fighting game is MORE equal than chess at the start before taking skill into account, because in chess one player always has to move first, while in a fighter both players can move at the same time.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: BLOODSTAINED - Koji Igarashi's Newest Project Unveiled - by TomGuycott - 05-17-2015, 02:57 PM