Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
PewDiePie Against Nintendo's Cash Share Plan
(02-01-2015, 10:39 PM)Gwen Wrote:
(02-01-2015, 09:30 PM)puggsoy Wrote: I don't watch PewDiePie, the only video on his channel I've actively watched is a songification by Schmoyoho. The only real reason him speaking out is significant is because he's a significant Youtuber.

But anyway. While Nintendo do have a right to do this, I think it's pretty stupid of them. I would think that the free advertising they get from this would be more than enough compensation for the money Youtubers make - which, as TotalBiscuit said in the video Helmo posted, is already usually around 30-20% of the actual revenue generated. It's really just a dumb and greedy thing that I personally think might even decrease their sales.

What exactly is greedy about Nintendo wanting to get some profit from people using their content to make money? Nintendo's still okay with them making money, they just stand to make some themselves.

What's greedy is that they're already huge, ultra-rich and one of the biggest and most successful gaming companies, and that the money they would be getting from this is mere peanuts to them, yet they still act as if it's necessary. It does literally nothing but reduce the income of LPers, reviewers, etc, many of which rely on this source for living costs. Other companies just let it go.

Even from a business standpoint, this seems like a dumb (or at least risky) move. Look at it this way; if this is mandatory for anybody using Nintendo game footage in their videos (LP or reviews or whatever), then it's reasonable to expect that about half of these people might exclude Nintendo games from now on. The money Nintendo would receive from those who remain, seems to me like it would be less than enough to produce advertisements that are equal to the publicity lost from those people who left.

Not sure if that made sense, and my estimations might be way off, but that's how I see it. Like really, what would Nintendo be losing if they just acted like the companies that let it be?
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: PewDiePie Against Nintendo's Cash Share Plan - by puggsoy - 02-01-2015, 11:58 PM