Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Doing Sonic 1-sized, Sonic 1-visual-styled sheets for other characters than Sonic
(09-10-2015, 05:03 PM)The KKM Wrote: @Vipershark:
Much the opposite. Sonic and Tails in Chaotix (or Crackers, rather), plus Mighty (who's edited from Sonic) show that Sonic, were he in Chaotix, would be a heavily shaded version of the Sonic 2 sprite, which is just a slight reshade from the Sonic 1 sprite. With that in mind, I find the sprite generally feels much closer to Sonic 1 than a hypothetical reshade of the Sonic 3 sprite. The proportions, slightly too wonky to work in the animations with big hands and shoes, the 6-frame animations, etc. So I just reverse engineer it- if Sonic in Chaotix is a heavily shaded Sonic 1 sprite, then Knuckles in Sonic 1 ought to be a heavily unshaded Chaotix sprite.

I guess I should point out that I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I just honestly don't entirely understand your logic.
While I can see where you're coming from, that sort of thing would only make sense in a universe where Knuckles' first appearance was in Chaotix. Sonic may have been up-ported to the 32X to make a new game in a completely new style, but Chaotix came out long after Sonic 1 did. In the time period between them, Knuckles was of course introduced and had his own sprites made that already fit the Genesis Sonic style.

Granted, S3 is slightly different than S1/S2 but it's a LOT closer in style than Chaotix is, to the point where you basically only have to change a few pixels here and there and it fits natively as many people have already done. Your end goal is for people to be able to use your sprites in hacks, right? Are you taking palette into consideration? You've got three different shades on Knuckles' socks, for example, one of which has so little contrast from the other that I can't see them as two different colors when zoomed out. You can easily pull one of those shades out entirely for optimizing your palette elsewhere.

Anyway at the absolute LEAST, might I suggest switching Knuckles' shoes in his idle back to the S3K versions? The edited ones you did have the huge red area on our-left-his-right shoe and it makes them kinda look like clown shoes. Also on the point of our-right-his-left shoe it just seems to kind of end rather than round off due to the lack of outline, but the original shoes still have that intact.
DARE 2 COMPARE
[Image: CdEmjfn.png]

Again, I don't mean to be argumentative or anything, I'm just kind of curious about why you made the choices you did for Knuckles.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: Ton

Messages In This Thread
RE: Doing Sonic 1-sized, Sonic 1-visual-styled sheets for other characters than Sonic - by Vipershark - 09-10-2015, 05:55 PM