Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
A few soundpacks I need help with
I knew it couldn't be that simple... I made a QuickBMS script for Snd.pak, and it extracted them fine. However, the files themselves are a bit weird. First off, it's a mixture of files with .saf and .wav extensions, but they all have WAVE headers. Secondly, they don't seem to be in a playable format. VLC doesn't play them at all, and Audacity doesn't recognise them.

Looking at the WAVE format description, it appears these files aren't PCM, which means they're somehow compressed. I'll try and look around to see if I can find out how to decompress them.

EDIT: After a bit of Googling I found that it's compressed in the Voxware Byte Aligned format. After not being able to find a way to convert or play that, and with even more Googling I finally found that it's actually the same as DVI ADPCM, and by editing the format byte in the files I can play them in VLC. However, I'm sure that you'd prefer them in decompressed PCM format (and that's probably best for submission), so I'll try and find a way to convert them.

EDIT2: So I belatedly checked if VGSC can convert them. It seems like it can but... only the first one. I don't see any reason for it not to work on any of the others, the only differences are data sizes. It really is strange because I can play all of them if I change their compression tag from 0x69 to 0x11... man this is weird. I'll keep trying though!
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Mystie

Messages In This Thread
A few soundpacks I need help with - by Mystie - 10-05-2014, 12:23 PM
RE: A few soundpacks I need help with - by senjen - 10-05-2014, 01:34 PM
RE: A few soundpacks I need help with - by Mystie - 10-05-2014, 02:30 PM
RE: A few soundpacks I need help with - by Mystie - 10-14-2014, 10:12 AM
RE: A few soundpacks I need help with - by puggsoy - 10-14-2014, 07:17 PM
RE: A few soundpacks I need help with - by senjen - 10-15-2014, 02:50 AM
RE: A few soundpacks I need help with - by Mystie - 10-15-2014, 09:07 PM
RE: A few soundpacks I need help with - by Mystie - 12-11-2014, 11:36 PM
RE: A few soundpacks I need help with - by Mystie - 12-13-2014, 12:31 PM
RE: A few soundpacks I need help with - by Mystie - 12-15-2014, 06:52 PM