Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
WIP all over the place need opinions
I'd probably change the timing of the wing flap animation. I assume that this is intended to be a rather large bird creature. In order to better communicate that size, I'd increase the amount of time in-between flaps.
A rule of thumb that i use when thinking of bird animation(or animation in general): the larger a creature is, the slower it moves. Specifically with birds: the larger a bird is, the more time in-between flaps. There are multiple reasons why this is:
  • Larger birds tend to soar/glide more frequently than smaller ones
  • Larger birds have more wing surface area which allows them to ride along updrafts more easily
  • Larger birds' wings are longer and require more effort/energy to flap
  • Smaller birds often have to change direction mid-flight more frequently to avoid larger birds that prey on them
  • Smaller birds have smaller wings so they have to put forth more constant effort to stay airborne (generally)
Finding a good reference is always vital to improving one's animation. notice how a bird's wing sort of rotates forward as it goes down and how it essentially pushes off of the air beneath it to grant it flight.
It's also worth noting that this particular clip is a slowed down loop of a bald Eagle flying fast, or "sprinting" if you will.
Salvador Dali Wrote: Begin by learning to draw and paint like the old masters. After that, you can do as you like; everyone will respect you.
[Image: shrine.gif]
Thanked by: E-Man, golbez22

Messages In This Thread
RE: WIP all over the place need opinions - by Koh - 10-08-2014, 11:09 PM
RE: WIP all over the place need opinions - by Sketchasaurus - 11-11-2014, 05:26 AM
RE: WIP all over the place need opinions - by Koh - 12-12-2014, 02:48 PM