Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Lunar Archivist's Modeling Thread :)
(03-06-2015, 05:44 PM)Kelvin Wrote: I was gonna comment on how awkward the walking looks, but if I had boots and gloves that big, I wouldn't be walking right, either. The running looks much better.

Are you gonna be putting these on the site? Or maybe Source Filmmaker? SFM is really lacking in good Megaman content.

The walking looks a bit awkward because, as you've surmised, the size of Mega Man's feet means that it's impossible for him to stand with knees and feet together (something which can clearly be seen in my first post). It would technically be possible to give him a more normal-looking gait, but that would mean that his feet would clip through each other, something I'm trying to avoid as much as possible. There's some major (but sadly unavoidable) clipping around his elbow joints and gloves, but that's because this thing is assuming poses the Kotobukiya plastic model kit - on which this was based - can't in real life.

To be honest, my intention is to assemble an animation demo reel, so you can expect better quality video in the future. As for the model...I may put it up somewhere if there's interest, but I may need to make some significant changes beforehand. The texture actually looks pretty bad when you get up close due to some quirks of 3DS Max. Specifically the excessive pinching that occurs when you apply the MeshSmooth and TurboSmooth modifiers to models with reinforced edges required me to distort the texture in certain areas to make it look right when applied. Oddly enough, eliminating as many three-sided polygons as possible also created some artifacts with the eyeballs, so I may eventually end up breaking the helmet down into polygon constructs that clip into each other rather than leave it as one solid piece, adding some three-sided polygons with the eyes, and redoing the unwraps. Right now, though, my priority is to animate.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lunar Archivist's Modeling Thread :) - by Ton - 08-28-2014, 11:14 AM
RE: Lunar Archivist's Modeling Thread :) - by Lunar Archivist - 03-07-2015, 01:42 AM