Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread
The Darkstalkers OVA has its good and bad points. Visually it's amazing, and incredibly faithful to the games. So many animations and poses and such recreated perfectly. You can tell the animators really did their homework. But the story falls apart more and more as it goes on. Also lots of time spent on unnecessary stuff like Hsien-Ko and Mei-Ling's past (if this were a fully-fledged TV series with dozens of episodes I could understand devoting some time to that, but in a 4 episode OVA?). And the ending with Donovan suddenly coming to some sort of revelation and instantly defeating Pyron was really underwhelming. But I am thankful that Discotek picked it up, and intend on buying the new DVD release.

I agree that Darkstalkers needs more love, but this sort of thing just seems to be a symptom of the game industry at large these days. It's gotten too big for its own good, games cost so much to make now that anything that's not a gigantic cash cow gets neglected. Doesn't help that Capcom's most recent attempt at "gauging interest" in the series was nothing more than another rerelease of the same mid 90s games that have already been released on several different consoles. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's great for what it is. Just like all the other online ports of their fighters Capcom put out that generation. But obviously it's not going to draw much attention from the gaming community at large.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - by Rhyme - 07-06-2014, 03:35 PM
RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - by felineki - 03-07-2015, 03:53 AM