Users browsing this thread: 13 Guest(s)
What are you playing? c'mon, tell me punk!
(04-03-2018, 02:29 PM)Zero Kirby Wrote: I'd consider Rise of Lyric worse because it's terminally boring. 06 can be downright hilarious at times because of how seriously it takes itself, the truly regrettable voice acting, and the goofy looking NPCs. I can have fun playing Sonic 06 with a friend just by making fun of the game's brokenness, and I'm not gonna lie, there's a couple points where one might feel like they're having fun on purpose. Plus it actually has a decent soundtrack.

Rise of Lyric is such a bore in comparison. It's just bad. At no point is it so broken it makes me laugh, at no point is it legitimately entertaining, and the soundtrack is so dull and weak it puts me to sleep. There's nothing there to poke fun at, either. It's a black hole of a video game that is infinitely worse in its blandness than the notably-and-occasionally-entertainingly awful 06.

... At least, that's how I feel. I can't speak for everyone, but I've met more than a few who agree with me.

Oh wow, someone actually responded to that blurb. Amazing.

...But yeah, that's another piece of the whole equation that I simply don't get. Now, I understand the appeal of bad media reviews and all, of course, and usually the worse the media, the better. That, I don't have a problem with.

That being said, I never understood that "if it's boring then it's bad no question asked" logic that tends to come with it. That, and sometimes it feels like a thinly-veiled excuse to overtly trash something for simply existing. At least, that's how it feels like at times.

It could also be that I'm not really the kind of guy who hates something just for bein' a snorefest. Generally, a piece of media that people consider "boring" or being just... there, I essentially think of it as... well, that. Just bein' there. All there is to it. It exists, and it's not really hurtin' anybody for it.

...Okay, maybe in this case it's not an entirely accurate assessment, given that BigRedButton's reputation kiiinda went down the tubes after all's said and done, but given the fact that they were reportedly bleeding staff during the game's development AND the fact that said game concerned a separate, then-new continuity that, even back then, had peeps ridiculin' it only because it was a thing...

But yeah. My two cents on the matter. You're entitled to your own opinion, and I can respect that. But me, I just don't see it fit to attack ROL as vehemently as virtually everyone else did.
[Image: gsopcsignaturesf4.png]
Sprite ripper, artist, and STILL a Puffy AmiYumi fan to this very day.
----------------------------
*All sprites in the signature and in the avatar are copyrighted by their respective owners.*
Thanked by: Kriven

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Are you playing? Remake edition - by Ton - 08-01-2014, 08:36 AM
RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - by Koh - 02-22-2016, 02:57 PM
RE: What are you playing? c'mon, tell me punk! - by Gussprint - 04-03-2018, 05:02 PM