Users browsing this thread: 14 Guest(s)
What are you playing? c'mon, tell me punk!
(09-17-2017, 02:05 AM)LittleYabiko Wrote: playing sonic 3d blast for a bit. it's pretty great, i have zero clue as to why people give it flack.

Ya really wanna know? 'Cause it doesn't play like a Sonic game. And as we all know, that's totally the worst possible crime a Sonic game can commit.

Sarcasm heavily intended. I've actually sat down and played 3D Blast a fair amount myself, and from what I've gathered, most of the complaints about it usually center around either one of these:

1. The Flicky mechanic.

Yeah, the main gimmick of this game made it here. Go figure.
Anyway, the thing about Flickies. You catch five of those (Bash a Badnik to get one) in one area, you get to progress to the next area. Any Flicky you catch will form a line behind Sonic and follow him.
That line can be disrupted at any moment either by a Badnik or stray bullet hitting the Flickies, or taking damage yourself, which scatters the flock. At which point you've got to move to grab 'em back, paying mind that each Flicky has its own attributes in the playfield.

Good luck with the green ones, by the way. Those just futz around wherever they damn well please.

2. Isometric platforming!?

The game itself is an isometric platformer. The less I reprint of all the comments I've seen or heard about this, the better. Trust me on this.

...That being said, can I just go on record and say I never got the hate? Like seriously, whenever I see someone rant about how isometric platformers are oh-so-unplayable or worse-than-beelzeboss or whatever, I'm just rolling my eyes in confusion. Yeah, it's tougher to line your jumps up properly and stuff (D-Pads aren't exactly well-suited for diagonal movement), but it's not outright impossible. This is not the next Dark Souls, people!

Neither were Cuphead or the N. Sane Trilogy*, but that's a whole other can o' worms.

3. SPECIAL ZO-- Wait...

This is a minor one (By comparision, at least), but it should still be addressed. Many people who played this game would argue that the Special Zones here are a joke, and... well, yeah they are.

No prancin' around this one, the Special Zones in 3D Blast are arguably the easiest in the entire series... in the Genesis/MD version, anyway. The Saturn version changes that into a whole different beast, giving us quite possibly the most creative spin on the "half-pipe special stage" formula yet.

Pretty sure others can think of more, but to me, these are the criticisms that stuck out the most. Well, except for "it's not a sanic game" but you can ignore those idiots.

*I should probably note, I have yet to play either one of those games, but manohman I'm already hatin' this stupid nextDarkSouls trend like ya wouldn't believe.
[Image: gsopcsignaturesf4.png]
Sprite ripper, artist, and STILL a Puffy AmiYumi fan to this very day.
----------------------------
*All sprites in the signature and in the avatar are copyrighted by their respective owners.*
Thanked by: miyabi95_

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Are you playing? Remake edition - by Ton - 08-01-2014, 08:36 AM
RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - by Koh - 02-22-2016, 02:57 PM
RE: What Are you playing? Metroid, Mario, and Marvel oh my - by Gussprint - 09-17-2017, 12:54 PM