Users browsing this thread: 16 Guest(s)
What are you playing? c'mon, tell me punk!
(02-24-2016, 05:14 PM)Monobrobe Wrote: I usually take what I get from localizations, but I've noticed that there are a lot of things that miiiight not be just translations of the original text. Like, during speaking parts, sometimes how the characters speak don't quite match up with what the dialogue box says as far as tone goes. And there are quite a few cases in which a character speaks in English but the translation changes it up so it sounds more coherent to native English-speakers. Gemini from Sakura Wars seems to be a victim of this sort of thing the most.
Normally I give the localization the benefit of the doubt because I know it must be difficult deciding how to translate various speech patterns in a way that people will understand. But here... It just seems sorta odd. I mean, the jokes are still funny. But part of me is wondering just how faithful they are to the original. But then again, there are just some things that will get lost in translation, so you have to change it up.

If it's helpful at all I'm fairly certain a lot of times when you have characters that have Southern drawls - or a loud, hillbilly archetype - the comparison drawn usually has the character speaking loudly and in Osakan dialect (as Osaka is about comparable in a business sense, plus some culture sensibilities/hospitality shared between Southern and Osakan people) 

Of course, that wouldn't really carry over so most translations of this material just opt to have the characters speak in Southern drawls (like Mitsune Konno from Love Hina, or...uh, Osaka from Azumanga Daioh) but uh

this character is literally from Texas, so I'm not so sure. lol
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: miyabi95_, Monobrobe

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Are you playing? Remake edition - by Ton - 08-01-2014, 08:36 AM
RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - by Koh - 02-22-2016, 02:57 PM
RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - by Kosheh - 02-25-2016, 03:01 PM