Users browsing this thread: 9 Guest(s)
What are you playing? c'mon, tell me punk!
Picked up AVGN Adventures and Turtle Tale (as well as a few other games) during Nintendo's eShop Black Friday sale... Thoroughly enjoyed them both... It isn't often these days that i sit down and play a game for more than half an hour at a time, but it's only been three days since I acquired these games and I've already dumped ten hours into them between them both. Also finished them (although AVGN I only finished on Normal... like Hell I'm going through all of its difficulty levels!)

Turtle Tale looks like a shitty Newgrounds ground, but I actually liked it a lot. The fact that it's an every day budget title seriously shows, but I thought the water gun mechanic was cool (basically enemies take different amounts of damage depending on how much water they get hit with, and you can utilize the water stream's drips to deal small damage to enemies in difficult places), and the game only ever felt "unfair" during the boss battles (of which there are two) despite some reviews stating that the game's Second Quest was too punishing. For the most part, any mistake you make in the actual platforming stages are your own. The controls weren't super fluid because the game isn't momentum based the way a lot of platformers are, but everything was precise. You always jump this high, you always move this fast, etc. It takes a lot of precision to get everything just right.

AVGN is also pretty awesome, but pretty much the opposite of Turtle Tale. The whole point of the game is to be unfair, and The Nerd doesn't control well at all... I mean, he's fluid and that feels awesome, but he handles kind of like a cross between Luigi and Mega Man: Momentum doesn't change that much in the air, but on the ground he slides just way too much, like he's always ice (which makes the times the ground actually is slippery incredibly frustrating). But it's one of those games that kind of forces you to keep going, because there's no way you're going to let this damn get the better of you! And then you win, and each time you make it to a new checkpoint is incredibly rewarding.

I'm glad these games have pulled me out of my game-dabble-funk (basically when I kind of want to play games but only manage to play for a couple minutes before I feel like I'm wasting time... and as a result I just kind of start a whole bunch of new games instead of actually getting immersed into any single one). Hopefully I can knock some things off my backlog before this wears off Big Grin
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Are you playing? Remake edition - by Ton - 08-01-2014, 08:36 AM
RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - by Kriven - 12-01-2015, 07:55 AM
RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - by Koh - 02-22-2016, 02:57 PM