Users browsing this thread: 104 Guest(s)
Poll: Which Mii Fighter are you going to use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The Mii Gunner
18.97%
11 18.97%
The Mii Brawler
24.14%
14 24.14%
The Mii Swordsman
22.41%
13 22.41%
I don't plan on using Miis
34.48%
20 34.48%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

TSR's Super Smash Bros Thread|SWITCH HYPE TRAIN NOW BOARDING
(11-13-2015, 06:38 PM)Koh Wrote: Goku is just as much a video game character as he is an anime character.  He fills both roles.  There are way too many Dragon Ball/Z games for him to NOT be a video game character.  He's not PURELY a video game character, but he IS a video game character.  That can't be argued.

I think that most fans of his series would say that the games are ABOUT him rather than him being a video game character. You don't see John Madden being called a video game character, and there's a new games about football every year. In fact, that game has people forming lines straight out of a mall for it. I once got to go straight to the front of one of those lines because nobody in the real world gives a shit about the games I like (I believe it was Mega Man ZX that particular time).

Anyway, one very VERY big factor that would probably prevent Anime characters from meshing well into a Smash Bros game is the fact that many video game characters are first inspired by Anime, and vice versa. Mega Man was inspired by Astro Boy, Lucario shares abilities and Ryu shares abilities and character traits with Goku, Guts from berserk, while awesome, would be overshadowed by the fact that big sword users like Ike and Cloud already exist (He'd even have similarities to Cloud's limit break, although instead of magically getting stronger when a bar fills up he's just actually slowly going more and more insane).

While I doubt it's impossible for Anime characters to eventually wriggle their way into smash, there has been two rules that have yet to be broken as stated by Sakurai himself, and until he outright says "Fuck it", I assume these will continue to stand true:

1. The character must have originated in a Video game. Not anime, not TV, not comics, not the real world.

2. They must have appeared on a Nintendo console. As evidenced by Cloud, even a cameo role can count.

3. We'll see.

And that's all.
Thanked by: psychospacecow

Messages In This Thread
RE: SUPER SM4SH BROS - by Omega - 07-05-2014, 07:02 PM
RE: TSR's Super Smash Bros Thread|We have weekly Brawl tournaments - by TomGuycott - 11-13-2015, 10:49 PM